When Papa mentioned to us his plan, we were all in agreement that it was the best thing. We were saddened because we love our house but in order for us to keep it for a long time we would have to make some changes and sacrifices now. It is going to cost a lot but I think its a small sacrifice to make for us to still be able to keep our house. I thought it was nothing major - raise the floor, raise the ceiling and add more flood control things. This was the picture that Papa made me see. He said nothing is going to change much. Our house will still look the same with certain additions. My brother will have his room again after his old one was made into my parents walk-in closet. Our (the girls) room will be bigger since our current room and the adjoining room will be made into one with our very own walk-in closet. Yay, something that I have always wanted. I gave Papa ideas of what my "ideal" closet looks like and he likes it too so he wants the same for their room. Aside from those basically it will be kept the same. After all they were still able to salvage at least 50% of the tiles, wood etc. The roof had to be replaced since it was still part of the original house which makes it 28 years old. The doors as well since water damage is very evident.
So I was surprised when Mama said that our house looked like a shell after the clearing. Okay what is that exactly? Then a friend mentioned to me that it seems something major is being done to our house. I still wasn't able to grasp it. That is until my sister posted pictures of our house or whatever is left of it.
(clockwise from top left: dining room, our room, the exterior)
I was shocked! This is not minor renovation. This is major! Its almost like we are building a new house but it will just look the same as what we have before. But I trust Papa's judgment. He told us that the result would be to our liking. Knowing my father, I know it will be. After all this is the same person who designed our dining set, bar, bar stools, gate, etc when he couldn't find any to his liking. Papa has really good taste when it comes to interior decoration and so does Mama. Plus, it helps that all of us pretty much are on the same page as to what we want the house to look like. I have confidence in him along with my uncles and cousins who are all engineers as well as to the architects that he has commissioned. Some of our relatives are wondering why Papa and Mama are making sure that we will like what the outcome would be since we are all grown-ups now and no telling who among us would go back home. But that's the thing, at least we know we still have a home to go back to when we want to. A home where we grew up in and have fond memories of. Though it may look new, at least we will be able to keep the memories and make new ones as well. Plus, did I mention that I am really happy about the walk-in closet in our room.
It is such a great feeling to be included in the decision making process of it all. We are in this as a family and that is great! Its a big sacrifice not only financially but also convenience wise. My parents are currently staying with an aunt who good thing lives only a few houses away so Mama is able to check the progress regularly. I have no doubt that our house will turn out nice and will still have the same "homey" vibe that people first notice and feel as soon as they step foot into it. I am actually excited about it. I just hope it will be done by our target date, May 2006.



No comments:
Post a Comment