Friday, June 08, 2007

I caved

I always wondered what the fascination with this slippers was. My sister wanted it so badly and when I checked at the mall it costs almost the same as a pair of shoes (not the branded ones of course). How could be something made of rubber costs so much? I saw people get addicted to it, collecting different kinds, different colors and different styles. Still I was bewildered what the fuss was about. People told me it was really comfortable. I scoffed like "yeah right". One sure can buy two slippers for the same price as one of this but still people preferred this. I shake my head in amazement and confusion and thinking "these people are crazy". Its "tsinelas" for goodness sake. One to use to the beach or to do errands or to do chores. I told myself I am not going to spend that much money for a pair of "tsinelas". No way, jose! If someone was going to give me one, I will gladly take it. My parents, oh so generous gave me one and thus started my "infatuation" with Havaianas.

When the Havaianas Filipinas came out, I wanted one. I mean I like anything that has the Philippines flag on it. I thought this is nice, I will be one of the few ones who will have this since I doubt if this will be available in the US. I asked my parents if they could get it for me and they did.

But an aunt found out about it and decided to give my other cousins the same thing for "pasalubong". So when it was only supposed to be only two of us among cousins who have it, it ended up being 10..of the same color. Finding your own pair at the door (we leave slippers outside the house) can be a task. So, I let my sister use it and hoped that another color of the same thing would be released. Imagine my happiness when a black Havaianas Filipinas came out. I immediately told Mama to please get me the black ones instead. I waited and waited until someone was able to bring it to the US. I love it. I thought at first it was just a "tsinelas" nothing extraordinary or mind-blowing about it. Boy, was I wrong! I like that theres the Philippine flag. I like love that it was actually comfortable. I thought I can walk around for hours in these and my feet would be fine. Its in black so it goes with anything I wear. I thought I would be content with my Filipinas pair but I was so wrong because after seeing this..

I wanted my own pair. I looked at the stores at the mall but I couldn't find it. I can only buy it online. Its going to cost me $23 and who knows what else for shipping but I am going to close my eyes and buy it. I already can see what my outfit would be to match this pair. I was set to buy it when my nice brother asked what we wanted so I asked for this. Hoping that that this is still available in the Philippines and he can get it for me. If not, I guess I will just buy it online and Nicco can just buy me this...


and I will gladly accept it. or any color for that matter.

I have found myself browsing through different sites for other designs and styles. Some are really funky and out there. Some, I think I will be able to wear. I say that I just have an "infatuation" with it its because I don't think I will become a serious collector no matter how much of an addictive personality I have. Well, as of now at least I just want these 3. Who knows what will happen along the road. But I really want to buy them for the purpose of wearing them and not just collecting or looking at them especially now that I am including it in the "must pack" list when I travel granted its going to be a warm place.

Its funny how life is, its twists and turns and its ironies. I was critical of it before and here I am wanting to buy my own pairs more than what was given to me. Here I am actually contemplating of buying some rather than waiting for someone to gift me with them. Yup, I am eating my words because I am now into havaianas when I told myself I wouldn't be. Now, I am willing to shell out more than I would normally for a pair of slippers. Hey, my toes and feet are happy and that makes me happy. For that reason alone, I am sold on these slippers.

No comments: