Thursday, June 21, 2007

In all seriousness

It was just last year when I became actively involved in ATASC (An Taclobanon Association of Southern California). I cannot believe its only been a year because it felt like I have zoomed through my two year term. On my first year alone, I was entrusted to this position that I wasn't sure I was equipped to handle: mentally, emotionally and socially. Prior to this, my lone experience as far as being in an organization was still back in high school which was ages ago and I was dealing with people my age certainly not with those older than I am, some my father's age or older than that. Being the youngest, I wasn't sure if I would be heard enough or listened to. Well, I thought wrong. I think in my own little way I have let my voice be heard. But I don't think its enough. I still have a lot to learn and the first year was that - a learning year, an educational year. It was more like an "on the job training" and I think the second year will now be more of a "job". Am I prepared for the year that is coming? I don't know. I learn as I go along.

Midway into the year, people within the organization has been teasing me that I will be the next president which I take in stride and in jest. They cant be serious! I still have so much to learn. When I told Papa about this, his reply made me laugh. He said that I should get married first before I even think of being the association's president. I thought Papa was just joking, teasing me or he is just that desperate to see me married off. But I soon realized how true he was. Being an officer, an active one at that is SERIOUS, SERIOUS, SERIOUS commitment. A commitment I didn't know I was ready to give but did in my own capacity. Just two weeks ago I was growing overwhelmed with the many things I had to do. I didn't realize that my plate would be that full but it was. Aside from my my duties to the association, I also have responsibilities to my family, to my work as well as to own self. Someone pointed out to me that I was already overwhelmed with so many things imagine if I had a husband and/or children or a boyfriend to attend to on top of these responsibilities. I probably would have gone crazy. I am not complaining but it made me think how many more compartments can you build in your life to make room for everything. Or am I supposed to continue building compartments or keep the same ones but learn to prioritize? Or come to a conclusion that no matter how much we wish we just cannot do everything that we want or expected of us. That is just how life is.

I don't know until when my commitment to the association will be. Now when they tease me about me being at helm of it I quote my dad. Their responses have been funny, some just laugh and some even to the point of saying they will look for one for me. Hahaha yeah right! Am I ready for it if and when it does happen? I don't know. I guess I will cross the bridge when I get there but I do know that I have to find some sense of balance within my own life in order to be able to do that. Find some sense of balance before that. Its not an easy position and I have so much to learn still. I have so many things to learn: diplomacy, more patience, more flexibility, firmness, decisiveness, etc. What am I doing? I shouldn't even be thinking about it since its not even yet a possibility. But if there's one thing the past year has taught me is that I am not a "commitment-phobe" like I thought I was. And it helped because at the onset, committing was the huge step and I think I have proven that I can do that.

No comments: