I have always said that among the household chores, ironing is my least favorite. I would do away with it as long as I can. If I can ask someone to do it for me, I would be jumping for joy. Anything as long as I don't do it. But... this time I really have to. And what a piece of clothing for me start on.. a barong. The hardest, most fragile and I think most complicated piece of clothing to iron. I mean, my own dad isnt a fan of ironing too or doesn't even iron but he will if its his barong. No one else irons it but him.
Why wear a barong then? I could wear anything but a barong so why am I stressing? See, that's the thing, I have to wear a barong for the fiesta this Saturday..tomorrow. Being an officer, we always wear barong. I don't own such a thing since its typically a man's piece of clothing but of late women have been wearing them too. So, I asked my mom to buy one for me from Manila. I not only got one but I have two. One is ready to wear while the other one, Papa had it made. The one that was made is much more formal and intricate which translates to higher difficulty as far as ironing is concerned. The other one is as intricate but its made like a tunic so its less complicated without all those buttons. I am leaning towards the tunic kind to wear for tomorrow.
My stress started even before I even got them. Mama told me that when I iron it that I should make sure that the sleeves wont have any folds. Okay, I am already stressed out just thinking about ironing a barong now I have this fact to add. How am I going to do that? I am really getting anxious now. How anxious? My gastritis is acting up. The only thing left is for hives to appear but good thing I never get those.
I first planned to iron it last night but I didn't feel that my mental state was ready to take on the task. I wont be able to do it tonight since I will coming home late and probably sleepy so no. I guess I am left with no choice but to iron it first thing tomorrow along with the other clothes that I have to iron *sigh* and on top of my other "to-do" things. Putting it off really isn't doing me any good because its not going to disappear when I do that. It certainly wont iron the barong either. I just have to find that stable mental state and carry on with this task. Even with ironing, I am cramming. I guess I really do better under pressure. Brat na kung brat, I wish Mana Mila was here to do this for me and I wont be stressing this much.
Why wear a barong then? I could wear anything but a barong so why am I stressing? See, that's the thing, I have to wear a barong for the fiesta this Saturday..tomorrow. Being an officer, we always wear barong. I don't own such a thing since its typically a man's piece of clothing but of late women have been wearing them too. So, I asked my mom to buy one for me from Manila. I not only got one but I have two. One is ready to wear while the other one, Papa had it made. The one that was made is much more formal and intricate which translates to higher difficulty as far as ironing is concerned. The other one is as intricate but its made like a tunic so its less complicated without all those buttons. I am leaning towards the tunic kind to wear for tomorrow.
My stress started even before I even got them. Mama told me that when I iron it that I should make sure that the sleeves wont have any folds. Okay, I am already stressed out just thinking about ironing a barong now I have this fact to add. How am I going to do that? I am really getting anxious now. How anxious? My gastritis is acting up. The only thing left is for hives to appear but good thing I never get those.
I first planned to iron it last night but I didn't feel that my mental state was ready to take on the task. I wont be able to do it tonight since I will coming home late and probably sleepy so no. I guess I am left with no choice but to iron it first thing tomorrow along with the other clothes that I have to iron *sigh* and on top of my other "to-do" things. Putting it off really isn't doing me any good because its not going to disappear when I do that. It certainly wont iron the barong either. I just have to find that stable mental state and carry on with this task. Even with ironing, I am cramming. I guess I really do better under pressure. Brat na kung brat, I wish Mana Mila was here to do this for me and I wont be stressing this much.
3 comments:
barong for women? wow, that's something different. i'd love to wear one. but not to iron one. i don't like ironing either. in fact, i never iron anymore. but that's also because i don't go formal too often.
any pictures of your barong, ate rai?
yup! it actually doesnt look any different from that of the men's but its not as loose in the body area. its a lot sleeker. I decided to use the tunic one coz its less formal and I think much more reflective of my age na I am still younger than all of them. Its different LOL
I will take a picture of both and will post it here =)
I can understand the stress you're going through. I went through the same phase. It really takes longer to iron a barong. When i was working full time i usually wore a barong (not the Pinya kind of course) on most days, so i had to iron them myself every weekend.
Ironing five barongs usually lasted one DVD for me. I had those barongs that were like "linen", which meant that they were very crumpled after a day at work. So i kept a pair of barongs in my office too for late night meetings.
All this before i moved to wearing suits to work. Eventually, i just alternated between barongs and suits. But Mondays were reserved for the barong - flag ceremony kasi!
hehehe!
Post a Comment