Friday, July 11, 2008

My countryside

One Christmas break from college as Papa and I were driving along Kankabato Bay in Tacloban, he turned to me and said "be thankful you grew up in the countryside". I didn't know then why he told me that and for what purpose. Looking back now, some 10 years has passed, I get what he meant. Tacloban will always be home and looking at pictures and getting updates about it makes me feel close to it no matter how geographically away I am.

Last June 27, the Pintados-Kasadyaan Festival was held. Back in 1986 when it was first conceptualized, it was then called Pintados Festival. But nowadays its called Pintados-Kasadyaan and its also called the "Festival of festivals" since festivals from all over Leyte converge in Tacloban City to compete against each other and to give the people - residents and tourists alike a colorful, vibrant and merry celebration that is reminiscent of our history and culture. I learned from someone that its not as easy as mounting a dance presentation, even those are thoroughly researched and it is a must that the choreographers are aware of the history and the spirit of the municipality and incorporate it to the overall history of how Sto. NiƱo of Tacloban came to be.

This year however, there were two festivals in the span of 2 days I believe. Yes, two festivals - the Pintados-Kasadyaan and the Sangyaw. Sangyaw was a project of then First Lady Imelda Marcos which was revived by her relatives who are now in power in our city. Pintados-Kasadyaan is sponsored by the Pintados Foundation and the Province of Leyte.

Political biases aside, I have greater affinity to Pintados-Kasadyaan because it is the one that I got to experience and boy what an experience it was. Also, I was a witness to its conception being that my dad was part of it. I remember, my siblings and I running around at VOR Hall in DWU after classes as Papa was deep in meetings with the rest of the committee. To say I grew up with is an understatement because now 22 years later it has done so much from its humble beginnings. It was an experience - good, fun and painful ones that I shared with my friends. Those were fun times. Oh, the painful part came when its time to clean up after the festival. Its pretty painful to remove paint from your body and hair but then it goes with the experience.

So many things have changed. Its no longer a "free-for-all" when it comes to putting paint on people. But, nevertheless, the spirit still lives on and more.

Here is a glimpse to what Leyte Pintados-Kasadyaan Festival of Festivals is through the amazing lenses of Gerry Ruiz. My siblings - Nicco and Camille were home for the weekend too. They still have to upload their photos.

Brings back so many memories.

No comments: