Thursday, August 07, 2008

I am jumping in...



08/08/08 at 8:08PM

Very clever.

The Summer Olympics is on everyone's lips it seems. The Opening Ceremony is tomorrow and I am making sure that I am sitting comfortably in front of the tv. I always look forward to the Opening Ceremony and also the Closing Ceremony. The days in between are just okay. If I catch some, good if not still good. But its really hard to miss because basing on previous broadcasts of it, its going to be extensive.

I always make sure to catch the Opening Ceremony. Its an introduction to the culture through pageantry, dances, music, sights and all. Its always exciting to wait for the Philippine contingent as they make their way into the Olympic Stadium although they have this "blink or you will miss it" coverage from NBC which makes you wonder why when I am sure they have all these cameras to catch all the countries. Its always entertaining to know a little bit of trivia about each nation that joins and also to discover countries that I didn't even know existed. I am also overcame with pride when I see one-member contingents and yet they walk tall and proud. My favorite Opening Ceremony has got to be 1992 Barcelona. The way that archer fired that fiery arrow to light the Olympic torch still leaves me breathless the same way that year when I first saw it. Also a favorite was 2004 Athens because of the history and pageantry of it all. It went back to where modern Olympics started.

What I like about the Closing ceremony is how everyone is just scattered all over the Olympic Stadium ground compared to when they were in lines during the Opening. Its an exhibition that for one night, all nations come together and are one transcending beyond race, gender, ethnicity and everything else. Its always fun to see athletes from different countries smiling and having fun regardless if they performed well or not. Its one big party.

In between I like the medal ceremonies. I am curious to see how the medals look like and what other stuff do they award the athletes with. During Summer Olympics the only events I really look forward too are swimming, gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics and basketball. I am not going to pretend that I know what the other games are when I don't have a clue what it is about or how it is played but if it piques my interest I would watch it.

I am really looking forward to Beijing 2008. But then No Lenny Krayzelburg. No Ian Thorpe. No Apolo Anton Ohno. Oh wait, he really doesn't belong here anyway. Just wanted to slip his name in. And now No Hamm brothers. Both pulled out due to injuries. So who do I look for then?

No comments: