Kaytee wrote that there was an actual Washington Post article about it. It seems researchers have given this phenomenon a name...earworm. I think earworm is more appropriate than LSS because for some strange reason it "worms" its way to you ear constantly whether it was the last song you heard or not. LSS only refers to as its name suggests "last song" but with an earworm, you could have heard a different song after and yet a few lines from another songs keeps on resonating in your brain.In the research it said "The first study on earworms showed that the kind of music most likely to get stuck in your head is simple and repetitive. In addition, the lyrics are usually unexpected." True enough because my earworm is really something simple. Its actually from a song sang by a priest whose cd my aunt plays constantly in her car on the way to work after we are done praying the rosary. The line is simple "my soul proclaims the goodness of the Lord." Its a good message, a pretty good song but it has this odd tempo. Like it sounds Aztec or Mayan or something. If you have seen this group of people that looked like Indians with wooden (or is it bamboo) pipes selling their wares and their music at a mall, it sounds like that. So with that line and that tempo and try hearing that in your ear in a constant loop, it can make anyone go insane. I know I am on a brink of it. Its giving me a headache. I had it yesterday after hearing the song for the first time and now I am hearing it again. Its annoying. I am not humming to it or even thinking about it but it manages to still get into my mind. Ugh!
The report went on to say that it can last for a few hours to a few days. Great! I don't want my whole weekend spent being stuck with this song in my head. I can manage when its on the way to and from work. I obviously cannot tell my aunt to change the cd that we will listen to, its her car anyway. I wish I can plug into my Zune on the way home but that's rude considering its just the two of us and its just wrong that we will be in two separate worlds while in the car. So I guess I will just have to endure it for the time being. I really hope she changes the cd soon. I gave her a JoshGroban cd before, why don't we listen to him instead. I don't mind hearing "you raise me up" constantly.
The article offered some remedies which I might just try later if this keeps on. Or I might actually peruse this University of Cincinnati website that has all these information on earworm. Imagine that, a whole website on earworms.
No comments:
Post a Comment