Friday, April 24, 2009

Two faces of change

You have heard it so many times.."change is the only thing constant"..."change is inevitable". Its true, people have to constantly evolve with the times because we have to go along as the world changes. But the effects of change can be a double-edged sword. It could be for the better or it could be for the worse. Either way, we just have to live with it and learn from it.

Just a forewarning. If you are expecting an insightful, philosophical post. This isn't the post to read. I am talking about a shallower topic but then who knows there might actually be a lesson to be learned from a haircut. I know I did.

Two months ago, I decided to try this new salon that two people I am related to have gone to have their hair cuts and they gave pretty good reviews. Its a well known salon in the Philippines which opened a branch here. I have heard about them for a long time, I checked their site and it seemed promising. Their charges are a bit more than where I always get my hair cut but for a change I went to try it.

I went after work without an appointment. It was very last minute that I decided or rather felt I wanted a hair cut so off I went. If they wont be able to take me in, no harm. I can either come back or change my mind completely. I wished they were full but more on that later. I got there and they had an available slot. They marveled in the fact that I was "referred" by my aunt so the "master stylist" aka owner was the one who cut my hair. Its a European salon or so they advertised but owned by a Filipino. It had a good vibe but not as comfortable as where I always go. She checked my hair which was really long at that time, up until the middle of my back. She diagnosed it as dry so she prescribed a "power dose". No kidding, that's what the conditioner or treatment is called. I told her that I wanted to keep the length. So cut and cut she did. Actually more like a trim since I already had layers from my haircut back in December. I was getting queasy by the minute since she just cut and cut and worse she did my layers using her "signature" dry cutting method which I should have told her doesn't work with the texture of my hair. She cut my hair after blow drying it AND flat ironing it. Which of course will yield a different result and which as if I do everyday. But then what do I know.

If her way of cutting was making me queasy, her remarks and that of her friends made me uncomfortable. They were talking as if I wasn't there. She was complaining that whoever did my haircut last December cut my layers too short and blah blah blah. So she was doing some "repairing" which really wasn't the case. How can you "repair" a 2 month old haircut? I didn't like it one bit. I mean yes you can show your "superiority" or expertise but not in the expense of putting down other people's work. Plus, I felt Vic (who does my hair) didn't deserve it. It was a minus point for them. One of her friends made a comment of "iba talaga ang layering ni madam" (madam's layering technique is something) and also said that when she saw my hair she was curious on how it would turn out because it looked like it was going to be a challenge (Thank you very much!)

After much cutting, she was finally satisfied with the cut that she did. Me, on the other hand not so much but okay I decided to give it a few days to get used to it. I paid it which was three times more than what I usually pay for a hair cut. I left the salon feeling hopeful. I got lots of compliments, well to be fair it really looked fine. But only because I just came from the salon but the next day..ugh! My hair looked like a tadpole. It was thicker on top and sure she kept the length but it was only a few wisps of hair. The bottom part of my hair literally looked like rat's tail. Not the description I prefer but it really did look like that. If that wasnt enough, I felt I looked like every Asian teenager in the county of Los Angeles. I go to places and every teenager I see have the same hair style as I do. From behind I thought I was seeing double or triple or quadruple. Not the best feeling but I figured its going to grow back and until such time it was in okay shape to be cut again I am just going to deal with it anyway I can. Needless to say from February until yesterday, my hair has always been in a ponytail unless I made an effort to flat iron it or braid it or something.

After that, I vowed never to go back there and will think twice of recommending it. Maybe for some it works but for me obviously it didn't. I did regret going and asked myself many times why I even went there. Change. For a change. That was my only excuse and reason why I went to try them. I really thought she would give me a different look but it was more of she criticized my previous cut and the state of my hair and that really didn't bode well with me. But at least now I know, another saying is right "if it aint broke why fix it". I was fine where I used to go, in fact happy there but I guess I wanted to test other waters and this is what I got. But then now at least I know. For every bad experience there's always a silver lining.

No comments: