Today is my parents' 30th wedding anniversary! I am so sad I wasn't with them to celebrate it. Come to think of it none of their children were there. In some sense, I think its good because this was their time. Knowing my parents, had we been home it would have been a family affair. My parents seldom go out on their own. I think they really deserve to especially now that all of us are adults and pretty much out of the house. This time should be all about them and not anymore about us, their children.
I don't know much the story on how my parents met. Sad isn't it? Well when we ask we don't really get a straight answer anyway. I wonder why. All I know is that my mom used to watch their bakeshop and my dad would buy bread often until he pretty much became a regular fixture. Plus I think their respective brothers were friends and that's how they knew about each other that's why Mama said "ay oo kilala ko na yan!" when they were formally introduced. I think Papa is Mama's first boyfriend but she had suitors before. I am really curious what made both decide that the other person was the one he/she would want to spend his/her life with. I have always been curious but hasn't had the chance or courage to ask.
As much or as little I know on how they met, I know how they are together. I told myself that if I get half of the relationship that my parents have I will be happy. Of course, theirs isn't a perfect relationship. Whoever thinks that they have a perfect relationship is either delusional or in denial. Relationships especially marriage has its share of ups and downs. It's sticking through it and working through it that makes a difference. I am sure that at some point either or both have contemplated giving up but there is a reason why it never materialized. They seem to be able to work through it. The one thing that I admire about my parents relationship is the level of respect they have for each other. They may not understand why the other person thinks the way he or she does but they will respect that. Papa and Mama may individually complain about the other but they have learned to accept that it is part of who they are. Papa, being the head of the family never undermined Mama's role. In fact she is held in the highest regard. They were equal partners in the whole relationship.
My parents are both independent individuals which borderlines stubbornness sometimes. This is funny because according to Papa, Mama is stubborn and Mama thinks the same way. I guess we are a family of stubborns. LOL But not once did I see a power struggle between the two of them. If anything, there has been a unity in their decision on how they are going to raise us, their children. Papa and Mama made decisions as a unit. If one said no, the other will never overturn it. Asking permission to go anywhere or do anything has been a funny experience for them but an irritating one for us. Case in point, I would ask permission from Mama and she would tell me to ask Papa. So I go to Papa only to be told to ask Mama. So what is left for me to do? They look at each other, smile and say yes. But only after me having been standing there with a confused and bewildered look on my face.
My parents can not be any more different. Papa is an extrovert while Mama is an introvert. Papa, having been in politics for almost 12 years is used to being in the public eye while Mama prefers to stay home. Papa is the chatty one who fishes information from us while Mama will take whatever story you want to tell her. She wont press. My siblings and I joke that she is a major "NR" - no reaction sometimes. Papa tends to forget where he last put down his eyeglasses, pen or keys while Mama knows the exact location of something which makes it hard to lie about looking for it because she can tell if we looked hard enough or not. Papa is medyo "makalat" sometimes, shredding his shoes, clothes around the house while Mama can be majorly OC. Papa doesn't know how to pack while Mama has mastered it like a science. If one needs to pack something, call her and she can fit a lot of stuff in a box with a 70 lbs limit. Both are disciplinarians but heavy punishment is left to Papa. However, if Papa wasn't around, Mama wont wait till Papa arrives. Papa attended all PTA meetings the entire time we were in school. In fact, he was I believe the longest serving PTA president. Mama never once went to a PTA meeting but any other school activities she was there with all the supplies imaginable like food, extra clothes, towels and of course her support.
Both of them were busy people when we were growing up. Papa worked at the bank and Mama had the bakery to manage but they were always there for us. Papa made sure that he drove us to school every morning and picked us up in the afternoon even if we had a driver to do that. Mama wakes us up every morning and makes our milk or Milo before we head out even if we had a housekeeper to do that. We always have dinner together everyday and Sundays we always go to mass together. When we were all off to college in Manila, they would fly out of Tacloban to visit pretty often. They would call often and now send text message often as well. But for some reasons it never felt like they were smothering us. They knew when to keep their distance and allowed us to be who we want to be.
Our parents gave us all the best that life could offer to a point of sacrificing themselves to be able to provide for us. Our parents have shielded and protected us with all their might from the world's cruelties but they also allowed us to learn through our mistakes. Our parents kept us close but they also allowed us to spread our wings and discover the world. Our parents with apprehension allowed us to leave the comforts of home but never failed to tell us that we can always go back home. We owe them so much and no matter how much we try I don't think we can ever repay them for everything that they have done for us. We can always strive to be better children and better people, that much we can do. After all whoever we are reflects on the kind of parents they are and vice versa. Words are not enough to show our gratitude but we can always try. On this occasion of your anniversary, in behalf of my siblings we can only say "HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! WE LOVE YOU!"
I don't know much the story on how my parents met. Sad isn't it? Well when we ask we don't really get a straight answer anyway. I wonder why. All I know is that my mom used to watch their bakeshop and my dad would buy bread often until he pretty much became a regular fixture. Plus I think their respective brothers were friends and that's how they knew about each other that's why Mama said "ay oo kilala ko na yan!" when they were formally introduced. I think Papa is Mama's first boyfriend but she had suitors before. I am really curious what made both decide that the other person was the one he/she would want to spend his/her life with. I have always been curious but hasn't had the chance or courage to ask.
As much or as little I know on how they met, I know how they are together. I told myself that if I get half of the relationship that my parents have I will be happy. Of course, theirs isn't a perfect relationship. Whoever thinks that they have a perfect relationship is either delusional or in denial. Relationships especially marriage has its share of ups and downs. It's sticking through it and working through it that makes a difference. I am sure that at some point either or both have contemplated giving up but there is a reason why it never materialized. They seem to be able to work through it. The one thing that I admire about my parents relationship is the level of respect they have for each other. They may not understand why the other person thinks the way he or she does but they will respect that. Papa and Mama may individually complain about the other but they have learned to accept that it is part of who they are. Papa, being the head of the family never undermined Mama's role. In fact she is held in the highest regard. They were equal partners in the whole relationship.
My parents are both independent individuals which borderlines stubbornness sometimes. This is funny because according to Papa, Mama is stubborn and Mama thinks the same way. I guess we are a family of stubborns. LOL But not once did I see a power struggle between the two of them. If anything, there has been a unity in their decision on how they are going to raise us, their children. Papa and Mama made decisions as a unit. If one said no, the other will never overturn it. Asking permission to go anywhere or do anything has been a funny experience for them but an irritating one for us. Case in point, I would ask permission from Mama and she would tell me to ask Papa. So I go to Papa only to be told to ask Mama. So what is left for me to do? They look at each other, smile and say yes. But only after me having been standing there with a confused and bewildered look on my face.
My parents can not be any more different. Papa is an extrovert while Mama is an introvert. Papa, having been in politics for almost 12 years is used to being in the public eye while Mama prefers to stay home. Papa is the chatty one who fishes information from us while Mama will take whatever story you want to tell her. She wont press. My siblings and I joke that she is a major "NR" - no reaction sometimes. Papa tends to forget where he last put down his eyeglasses, pen or keys while Mama knows the exact location of something which makes it hard to lie about looking for it because she can tell if we looked hard enough or not. Papa is medyo "makalat" sometimes, shredding his shoes, clothes around the house while Mama can be majorly OC. Papa doesn't know how to pack while Mama has mastered it like a science. If one needs to pack something, call her and she can fit a lot of stuff in a box with a 70 lbs limit. Both are disciplinarians but heavy punishment is left to Papa. However, if Papa wasn't around, Mama wont wait till Papa arrives. Papa attended all PTA meetings the entire time we were in school. In fact, he was I believe the longest serving PTA president. Mama never once went to a PTA meeting but any other school activities she was there with all the supplies imaginable like food, extra clothes, towels and of course her support.
Both of them were busy people when we were growing up. Papa worked at the bank and Mama had the bakery to manage but they were always there for us. Papa made sure that he drove us to school every morning and picked us up in the afternoon even if we had a driver to do that. Mama wakes us up every morning and makes our milk or Milo before we head out even if we had a housekeeper to do that. We always have dinner together everyday and Sundays we always go to mass together. When we were all off to college in Manila, they would fly out of Tacloban to visit pretty often. They would call often and now send text message often as well. But for some reasons it never felt like they were smothering us. They knew when to keep their distance and allowed us to be who we want to be.
Our parents gave us all the best that life could offer to a point of sacrificing themselves to be able to provide for us. Our parents have shielded and protected us with all their might from the world's cruelties but they also allowed us to learn through our mistakes. Our parents kept us close but they also allowed us to spread our wings and discover the world. Our parents with apprehension allowed us to leave the comforts of home but never failed to tell us that we can always go back home. We owe them so much and no matter how much we try I don't think we can ever repay them for everything that they have done for us. We can always strive to be better children and better people, that much we can do. After all whoever we are reflects on the kind of parents they are and vice versa. Words are not enough to show our gratitude but we can always try. On this occasion of your anniversary, in behalf of my siblings we can only say "HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! WE LOVE YOU!"
No comments:
Post a Comment