After so many weeks and months of having a busy weekend, here I am on a Saturday morning, in front of the computer, pretty much doing nothing! YES! Well, granted I am not totally activity-free today, I have an uncle's birthday party to go to later, at least for a few hours I have the house all by myself. My aunts and uncle are at a LSS retreat at our parish. It's a beautiful, sunny day to be wasted away, doing nothing. I am well aware of that but it's too hot to go anywhere. Plus, I am resisting the urge to go to the mall and start buying things I may not exactly need but just want. The only place that I go to frequently is the bookstore anyway and sadly its closed. My trip to the mall will now be without a trip to my favorite bookstore. That is a tragedy.
I think guys should take lessons from my uncle. It was my uncle's wife's birthday yesterday and he surprised her. He had mentioned that he had concocted something for her birthday but no specifics of course. So when I called my aunt to greet her, she told me what the surprise was. He booked a room at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel. He commissioned my 3 cousins, one of them their daughter to prepare the room with balloons, rose petals on the bed and tub and 36 candles everywhere, one for every year of her life. That was a sweet thing to do after 14 years of marriage and 3 kids. Actually, most of the men in my family have a sweet streak in them. Papa isn't really into big surprises but he has done a lot of small surprises. One of his big surprises was what he did for Mama for her 50th birthday. Mama had no idea that Papa along with my siblings planned a party for her and they invited all her friends from high school to be there. That was a tricky thing to pull off since we live in a small city. One Christmas, Papa was hinting to us that he had big gifts for us but when we opened it, it was a picture frame with our pictures on it. For a second we were disappointed but we realized that he went through all that trouble to do something for us. Now, that picture frame is my favorite gift of all time. My brother once cooked an Italian dinner for a girlfriend one Valentine's Day. Well, he was actually short on money, living off his student's allowance and it was hard to get reservations anywhere. But still, he cooked a penne pasta dish, had roses on the table, wine and decent cutlery. He transformed our tiny apartment into a place straight out of an Italian eatery. I think more than what the surprise was, it is the thought and the effort that counts the most. It is making the other person feel that he or she is special and thought of. It doesn't have to fall on a specific occassion or event. Sometimes the randomness of the action is what makes it really special and unforgettable. I think it's sad when couples start taking each other for granted. That I think starts the downfall of relationships.
No comments:
Post a Comment