On Christmas Eve, my aunt woke me up asking for help in packing the box that she was sending to my uncle in Chicago. I was still in a daze so I wasn't so sure if I was just dreaming it or she was really asking me. Taking my chances, I went downstairs and true enough she needed help. She asked if I could go with her to drop off the box at my cousin's in-law's house who would be bringing the box to Chicago. I threw on a jacket over my pajamas, put on my shoes and off we go. After dropping off the box, my aunt said if we could go to Honey Baked Ham to buy the ham for our dinner. The plan was for me to stay in the car while she goes in to buy it. But that wasn't the case since when we got to the store there was a long line and there was still 30 minutes before the store opens. So my aunt drops me off to fall in line while she parks the car. Then it hit me that I was in my pajamas. I decided that if I wasn't going to make a big fuzz about it, maybe people wont notice. Besides there was only one other person there who would have probably noticed it - the guy before me who was probably a Filipino. My aunt joined me in the line and we were talking in Tagalog then switched to Waray which is our dialect. She overheard the guy before us say "ay Bisaya pala" which prompted my aunt to ask him if he was Filipino. He was like "no, I am Waray!" That made the three of us laugh and to make the world smaller, he turned out to be my aunt's co-worker and he knows all of my aunts and uncles. He also went to the same high school as I did, so many years before me though. Having to wait in line wasn't so bad anymore despite of the cold weather. He did notice my pajamas and I just shrugged, what more can I do. My aunt commented that my cousin goes to school in her pajamas. True, she does but at least hers was plaid and in their school colors not like mine.
In no time the store opened but by this time, the line has grown long which was just a revelation to us. We were just waiting for our turn when all of a sudden this guy in shorts, a few people before us turned to me and asked "are you in your pajamas?" I nodded with a smile. He followed that question with a "just your pajamas?". What can I say I just nodded. Then the lady with them was like, "I kind of thought so!" Okay by the now I was growing conscious of my attire. If that wasn't bad enough, when a store employee came out to hand out some samples, the same guy turned to her and said, "did you notice she is in her pajamas?" pointing at me. The lady just nodded in agreement. Great, now the entire population at the store knows. By now, I felt like hitting this man. He was already strike 2 with me. I was able to breathe a sigh of relief because by now we were already inside the store. Not long we will be getting our ham and be out of here. I thought I have heard the last of it when I heard the SAME man who was in another line say, "she is in her pajamas!" with matching fingers pointing at me. Great! Just great! This man is strike 3 already. I just didn't pay attention to him. My aunt and I just laughed. If I wasn't conscious before now I was. I actually felt like everyone who were still in line were looking at my pajamas when we left the store. Oh well, like my cousin said what are the odds of them seeing me again. Besides, I don't think they will remember me without the pajamas. Its just a good thing that I didn't wear these slippers of mine to the store. Imagine that. =)
It was fine I guess that I was the joke of the day for some people. I used the same one to cheer my mom up when she was all emotional when my sister and I spoke to her. If only for that, I am glad I wore my pajamas outside.
No comments:
Post a Comment