I was able to complete the 9 day Simbang gabi masses and I have a certificate to prove it. =)
The pastors at Holy Family Catholic Church thought it would be nice to hand out certificates to those who were able to complete the 9 day novena. It was such a surprise which was accepted warmly. The certificate was a nice gesture and the 9 daily themes were printed on it as well. Those who were not able to complete it didn't go home empty-handed since the parish handed out bookmarks with a prayer written by John Paul II in the back which Father Johnny is encouraging every family to pray every night.
From the very start, I decided that I was going to make an effort to complete the simbang gabi. I am not sure what my motivation was because definitely it wasn't an easy thing to do. But I guess once it has been started, the intention for following it through was there. It was a nice feeling to be able to accomplish something like this and for that to be acknowledged was such a gift.
Going into the simbang gabi, I really didn't have much expectations or intentions or promises. At first I guess it was more of touching base with something Filipino when one has been deprived of it for some time. It was a tradition that I have missed greatly and wanted to be part of once again. I went there with no major petition to ask or prayer to be answered. I think more than anything, I went there in thanksgiving. Thanksgiving for the year that has been and for the year to come. The past year may not have been the best, but it wasn't the worst either. But I am grateful that I was able to weather it all and came out stronger, with lessons learned. I may not know what those lessons are at this point but I am a firm believer that things will fall into place in their own time. I already lived through the past and learned from it. I have no idea what the future brings, I can only anticipate and prepare. The one thing that I only know is NOW and even that may not be something we would want for ourselves but nevertheless thrown at us to face. Even if that is the case, I am and will still be thankful because I know I won't be alone in facing whatever it is that will be thrown my way. I have amazing and loving parents, crazy, supportive and protective siblings, a large extended family, old and new friends. How can you go wrong with a suppport system like that?
It was a bit overcast today and was a picture of gloom. I prefer not to dampen the holiday spirit. So in lieu of the picture of the sky, I am sending your way warm wishes.
MALIGAYANG PASKO
MERRY CHRISTMAS
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

No comments:
Post a Comment