Monday, December 05, 2005

Imagine being roused from your sleep at 2 AM with a text message that says:

"Did you hear the news about your Papa? =("

This is what my sister got and being that our parents are halfway across the world, it would have sent me on a panic. Good thing I didn't get the text, good thing I was told of this after I have been exchanging text messages with Papa all afternoon and good thing that prior to this text message, my sister was already told of what really happened. It was all misinformation.

Papa was our province Vice Governor for 3 years but during the last election he didn't run the same position. But for some reasons, some people still refer to my dad as the "Vice Gov". So when news that the Vice Governor was involved in an accident broke out, a lot of people thought it was Papa. It was horrible because so many versions of the story were coming out. There was that the Vice Governor (current) was in critical condition and was in a coma. I couldn't verify these news. But last I heard was her condition was already improving. I pray for her speedy recovery.

I do not for a second would want to even think if what if it was my dad. I refuse to go there. I have been in that type of situation once and I realized I am not prepared for anything yet. My maternal grandfather died a few days after 9/11. The world was in chaos, my mom was in the Philippines and no matter what happens she was going to make the trip to bade her father goodbye one last time. Papa decided to go with her since Mama was in no condition to be able to think straight. As soon as their flight was confirmed, it was the beginning of an experience that I will always remember. The airports were closed for private vehicles so we had to come up with a plan where we were going to pick them up. They were supposed to arrive on a Thursday night which gave them time to be at the wake before the funeral on Saturday. I was at a hotel lobby waiting for their call along with my cousins but midnight came and no call. I called my brother in Manila to ask if they were able to leave and my brother said that they did. I had no idea where my parents were and no one could tell me. I called PAL. I called LAX for any information but no one could give me an answer. Finally PAL told me that they were just delayed, then that their plane was redirected to Honolulu and would be coming in on Friday night. My cellphone bill has never been this high. I was calling Philippines, Hawaii, LAX, PAL. I think I may haven even called NAIA at some point. Add to that the calls from my relatives who were growing concerned. But at least I was able to speak to my parents by this time. They were at a hotel in Honolulu and would be arranging for their own flight to LA since PAL wasn't going to be allowed to fly to LAX as originally planned. This is the part where I am so glad Papa decided to fly with Mama. My mom was far too distraught to do all these arrangements. The passengers were told that they had to land in Hawaii because supposedly of an engine malfunction. But later on per my parents accounts, it turned out it was a security precaution and that once they entered US air space, they were escorted by 2 fighter jets. The next day, my cousins and I went again near the fastfood chain where my parents would take the taxi to and where we will meet them. Still no sight of Papa and Mama. I was growing concerned because Papa and Mama went through all these and for them to miss the funeral is just plain cruel. That would have been heartbreaking for my mom. I slept beside my cellphone waiting for their call. Finally at 5 AM Saturday, the most amazing call of my life came. It was Papa, "we are already here!" My cousin and I went to the fastfood restaurant again and after a few minutes my parents emerged from the taxi. Finally I could breathe. We had little time to spare. We got home at almost 7 AM, get ready for the funeral at 10 AM. Good thing it was earlier requested that my Lolo's casket be opened so my mom can see her dad one last time and say her last goodbyes.

My thoughts all during this time was, please not both parents. I would have probably gone insane. My brother and sisters in the Philippines and me in the US. Being the eldest, I know that a big responsibility is going to be put on my shoulders. Responsibility I think I can handle but more than that, I realized I am still dependent on my parents no matter how much I have exerted my independence all these years. The recent text message/joke just reaffirmed to me...I still need Papa and Mama.

No comments: