Huh? Ano daw?
See, this is one of my faults I tend to be PC a lot of times. I fear karma that even if I really want to gag and shut the door in someone's face, I don't. I wouldn't. Until of course if the other person is so dense not to take the hint after some time then that becomes a different story. I didn't want to talk to him so I kept reading the magazine that I had with me - Newsweek with BodeMiller on the cover. BodeMiller is far more interesting! He sort of got the hint that I wasn't in the mood to talk. But I guess he thought it wouldn't hurt to try again that is when he asked if I had a boyfriend, I said no! (why the hell didn't I lie?). Bakit wala? I just shrugged my shoulders. It is none of his business. The next thing that came out of his mouth was.. "puwedeng mag-fill out ng application?" WTF?? What am I? a job opening? I just didn't say anything. The guy probably thought he was being funny or cute when I just felt like hurling whatever I was holding at him. I didn't want to get arrested so I went back to BodeMiller. Now he is cute!
People have wondered why I still do not have a boyfriend or at least seeing someone especially here. That's just it, especially HERE! It doesn't mean that just because I am in the "land of milk and honey" my prospects have become better. They have not! I actually have met probably the oddest people ever. The "guy on the bus" is just one of them.
There is this one guy who was the neighbor of my uncle's. I do not know what gave my uncle an idea to ask me if he could give "neighbor guy" my number but I said it was fine. His parents belonged to the same charismatic group as my aunts and uncles so I guess he should be fine. Well, he was for some time. I was just talking to him on the phone. It was short at first since not long after he was given my number he went to the Philippines for a vacation. Since it would be his first time going home, I took it upon myself to point out the best points of the Philippines. He seemed interested in finding out more about the country so I became an unofficial member of WOW Philippines. I think it was my duty as a Filipino to promote the Philippines. When he came back I asked how his vacation was and he said he enjoyed it. While he was away, my cousins found out that their dad gave my number to "neighbor guy". Their reaction? They all said "ewww". I thought my cousins were just being mean. So I ignored it. We have been talking on and off for a month when he asked when we could meet. Call me paranoid but I really don't feel like meeting some random person somewhere by myself even though we have been talking. So I told him that I am pretty much always at my uncle's house. Maybe one of the days I am there we could meet. I wouldn't have minded that arrangement until he said "okay when you are at your uncle's house, ring our doorbell and I will open the door for you!" Huh?! Ano daw? Excuse me! Who does this guy think he is? That was the end of it.
I find weddings fun or so I thought when I went to my cousin's wedding. Well, her wedding was still fun because it was the first time I saw my uncles all drunk and making fools of themselves. I was minding my own business, having fun with my other cousins when this guy asked me to dance. He was from the groom's side. He actually had potential until I discovered he was gay. Okay! So I danced with him when all a sudden this girl from the pair that was dancing beside us said "Oh can we switch?" All perky and giddy which I have to admit scared me. It turned out that the guy who really wanted to dance with me was her partner and he just asked this other guy to ask me. I was beyond shock that I couldn't say anything. What is this, high school? I didn't want to be rude since he was the groom's cousin. I had no intention of starting a war between the two families on this day that my cousin and her groom were just united. And this happened two more times. So I danced with him, after one song I would complain that my feet hurt and that I didn't want to dance anymore. Both the truth and an excuse. It happened more than one time. He lived in Arizona and he couldn't believe that I was a few years older. I also couldn't believe how shorter he was compared to me and I am short and that he had highlights in his hair. In one of my excuses I thought he would go to his corner of the room - where all the groom's relatives are while I go to mine which is in the other side. But he had an idea to sit at our table and continue whatever it was that we were talking about much to my dismay. He asked for my number which I gave. I could have given him a wrong number but again didn't want to be rude and plus he could still get my number from my cousin. During in what I have decided would be the last dance with him because (1) I don't want to give him the wrong idea; (2) he was getting too close for comfort and (3) he was drunk from the open bar, he mentioned that he was returning to Arizona the next day. Fine by me! Then he told me, "give me a reason to come to California!" "Huh?! Ano daw?" I replied, "uhm, your family?" What did this guy expect me to say? He called and I spoke with him a few times after that then I think he got the message when I started making excuses to cut short our conversation. Plus, we pretty much talked about the same thing in our conversations...himself.
Maybe I am being overly picky or I have super high standards but am I not entitled to that? My rationale is I must start it high so that when I need to lower them, they would still be a bit high. Besides, my standards are really not that out of this world. I want someone who would respect my individuality. Someone secure enough in his own skin that nothing fazes him. Someone who would open new worlds to me. Someone I can stay all day having a conversation with - talking about anything and everything under the sun. Someone who can make me laugh. Someone who would take the chance to get to know the "me" beyond what he sees. Someone who would stump me when I need to be. Someone who would challenge me to want to be better. Is that too much to ask?
No comments:
Post a Comment