Tuesday, January 24, 2006

You made us proud Pacquiao!

I decided to go to an anticipated mass with my aunt on Saturday with intentions to either stay in on Sunday or watch a movie. Saturday night was the Pacquiao-Morales fight and I knew that there was going to be a viewing party at my uncle's house. I knew for sure my aunt isn't into boxing so I didn't think we would go. But I told her about it and surprisingly she said that we would proceed there after mass. The church was almost empty. There were only a few people who went to mass that night. I figured since a lot of the parishioners are Filipinos, they didn't go to mass that Saturday night and will just go on Sunday.

We got to my uncle's house and there were already so many people. I come from a large family so that wasn't much of a shock to me. It was already the end of round 3 when we got there. Everyone's eyes were fixated to the tv so we helped ourselves to some dinner. Why I even thought I would be able to eat while the fight was going on is beyond me. I feared I was going to get indigestion because I would take a bite and then position myself infront of the tv as well. My hunger evaporated with all the excitement. The first few rounds were nerve-wracking. Morales were getting the points and it seemed that all his punches were connecting. But we had to have faith in Pacquiao and he sure didn't disappoint. The next rounds were just great! I am not a big fan of boxing but Pacquiao is one good reason to enjoy it and be proud of being Filipino. By round 8 or 9, it was evident that Morales was getting tired while Pacquiao was just pumped up. My uncle and I were discussing that he wouldn't even back away when he would get hit by Morales. He was taking it all in. Amazing! Then that round 10 is still a blur until now. The first time Morales fell to the canvas, the whole house erupted in cheer. Sure it was shortlived since he was able to bring himself up but by the 2nd fall, everyone just went crazy. Everyone was jumping for joy, shouting, and high-fives all around. We could only imagine how it was like in the other Filipino homes and in the Philippines. For that brief moment, all Filipinos were one. It was heartwarming to see Pacquiao thanking his fellow Filipinos and said that he was doing this for his country. He mentioned something that stuck with me, about his win he said that it means "great power but it also comes with great responsibility." Imagine if all our politicians had the same line of thinking.

Even the best laid out plans can still change. Earlier I was planning of staying in on Sunday but my cousins and I decided to get some Japanese food since we have been craving for it too. They teased me that it would be my treat. I do not mind paying as long as its for food and besides its not as if the entire clan is coming. It would only be a few of us like 10 so it wouldn't be so bad. Kuya Gerry wanted for a long time to eat at Kabuki Japanese Restaurant and its been awhile since I last ate there. So, I forego my plans of doing nothing to spending time with my cousins. Not a tough choice to make. Since I already went to church I just waited for them to pick me up after they have gone to mass. Being that it was a weekend, Kabuki is not taking reservations. But I figured my cousins were going to the 12:15 PM mass, it would already be around 2:30 PM by the time we get to have lunch meaning the restaurant wont be busy anymore. But by that time it also meant that all of us are going to be so hungry. Hindi lang mag-asawang gutom kundi me anak na! True enough it was easy getting a table and not long were feasting on tuna sashimi, sushi, gyoza, crab salad, fried tofu, ginger shrimp on crispy rice, sukiyaki, shrimp tempura and chicken teriyaki. All that for 6 adults and 2 kids ages 7 and 13 months. To say that we were full was an understatement. We knew we had to walk around the area where the restaurant in Cerritos was. Good thing there was Goldilocks and Target to go to.

After all that food, one would think that would be it for us for the day. Nope, we still had other plans. The whole point why we felt the need to walk around was not only because we were full but also so we could have some space in our stomachs for dessert. Despite the cold weather, ice cream was our choice for dessert. We headed to Coldstone Creamery for some ice cream. We didn't get one big ice cream to share with everyone but we actually ordered one for each one of us. Either we are one crazy bunch or suckers for some torture because it was a windy and cold night. It was a happy and fun night though.

No comments: