Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Event Planning, cute niece & hollow feelings

I was on major "Type A" personality mode over the weekend planning for my grandmother's 85th birthday in August. This should have been started right after she celebrated her birthday last year but knowing my relatives they like to torture themselves by doing things at the last minute. Aside from doing things at the last minute, no one seems to be thinking about it and with the drama going on I sort of expected that. So I took it upon myself to start something. I told my older cousin about my idea and he agreed with me. Plus, I thought if it's us, cousins at the helm of it, di mag-iinarte ang mga kamag-anak ko. If I had the financial capability I would not ask for help but sadly I do not so we have to discuss it with my aunts and uncles. I am just glad that my cousin and I are on the same page on how we are going to go about it so it does not feel so overwhelming. Nakaka-inis lang because some of my relatives have been verbally told that we will take care of it but no, some still went behind our backs to look at places without notifying me or Kuya first. I appreciate the help but run it by me or by Kuya first before doing anything. If that wasn't enough, she made a comment that we have to be on it (as if we are not!) and that we don't have much time (we are VERY aware of it!).

My entire Saturday was spent calling possible venues for availability and for their menus. We have narrowed it to 2 places with 2 different dates but still in August. Now we just have to make a decision based on the menus and the budget of course. I made a summary of each venue from the menu choices to the taxes to the additional charges to payment policy. I read every fine print there was to make sure I have everything covered. Mahirap na ang maisahan! I just have to present all these to my aunts and uncles for final decision and it should be a go. But knowing my relatives' personalities, some of them would make it hard for us especially if its not convenient for them. We have anticipated that and we have contingent plans in place. If all else fail, Bahala sila sa buhay nila!

My niece, Angela Denise or as we call her "Ali Baba" is the cutest baby ever! She is only 14 months and she is so smart. She eats solid foods now and is always happy. She is low maintenance too. She is the youngest in the family right now so everyone's attention is on her with good reasons. She was so hyper last night that I was getting tired looking at her. But her showing me that smile I was not too tired anymore. Looking at her, I feel my maternal instincts kicking in. Sure, I am at the age already to have a child but I am not sure if I have the emotional, spiritual and financial capability to be responsible for another human being. Add to that, I think I would need another person to be able to bring a child into this world and he is nowhere at this point in time. So I guess "my own" Ali Baba would just have to wait.

I have been hearing about "hollow feeling" this past week from a friend but I do not fully grasp what it really means. Sure, I may have an idea what it must be like but I don't think I really know how it feels like until these past few days. My youngest sister had to be admitted to the hospital because her platelets were scaringly low even for an adult. She had to be monitored that's why she had to be admitted. I felt sick when I found out that Camille was going to be hospitalized. It is just her and my brother in Manila. Bless my brother for knowing what to do. My parents were in Cebu watching The Lettermen concert on Monday and stayed for the night. They took the Super Cat from Cebu to Ormoc early morning Tuesday. They were met in Ormoc by our car to go home to Tacloban and that afternoon flew to Manila to be with my brother and sister. They spent the entire Tuesday traveling by all the means: sea, land and air. Good thing, my brother was there to look after my sister before our parents got there. These whole time Papa was keeping my sister and I updated through text messages. The suspicion was dengue fever but gladly it was ruled out. She had systemic viral infection. I would not be surprised that her body is shutting down on her since she hardly eats and sometimes would go to school with no sleep. She was soon discharged when her platelets went back to normal but now she had to be brought back to her doctor since she would vomit each time she would eat. I do not know yet what the results are. I just hope its nothing more than a really good rest would heal.


No comments: