Wednesday, February 08, 2006

What if there is a "perfect man"?

When Jennie tagged me, it made me think back to that time in high school when my girl friends and I with nothing to do came up with what we thought and felt would be the "perfect man". The characteristics of a man that we were throwing were not from actors but from people we knew so well...Our very own guy friends and the guys in our class. Too bad not one of us wrote it down. It would have been a fun thing to read now after so many years. We could have discovered if our perception of the "perfect man" has changed or not over the years.

There was an episode of Friends wherein Ross made a list of what Rachel was. Some time ago, I too had a list almost similar to this. In it, I wrote what to me was "attractive, not attractive, negotiable and bonus points" in a guy. Yup, I can be a bit neurotic sometimes or maybe I was just bored that day. I can't seem to find that list now. It is probably in between one of my books somewhere. I actually do not mind that I can't find it or that I don't even remember what I wrote in there because I realized over the years that it is unfair of me to base a guy on whether he fits my list or not. I am boxing them in a position that they are totally unaware of. When I meet that guy that I will click with, he will just seem to fit the list somehow. The list would just be inconsequential. Plus, I think there is no such thing as a perfect person as Clare said "it's the imperfections that often make people more interesting". I believe that. The imperfections are actually what makes them perfect if it makes any sense.

However, for the purpose of this "meme", here are 8 different points of my "perfect" partner.

The rules are:
1. The tagged victim has to come up with 8 different points of his/her perfect partner. (I decided not to tag anyone. Whoever is interested in doing this can do so.)
2. Need to mention the sex/gender of the target.
3. If tagged a 2nd time, there's no need to post again.

The sex of the target: Male

1. He has to be respectful. Of himself, of me, of the things and people that are important to the two of us. No two people are alike. We all have our differences and I think that's what make us unique people, what makes us individuals. We just have to accept and respect our respective differences. My parents are so different in so many ways. They have looked at the same thing with different eyes and yet they both accept that and respect each other. Just cause the other person doesn't see it our way, it doesn't make it invalid. Just respect and accept it and never undermine it. Respect my individuality don't be threatened by it. Respect me not because I am a woman but because I am a person, a human being much like you are, an equal. I believe that a relationship is a partnership not a corporation.

2. He must be able to carry a good conversation. Both sides of my family CAN talk and its very important that he is not going to get lost in the mix. We can even talk about the most mundane things. A lot of really great conversations start from those. I want someone with whom I can talk about anything and everything under the sun. We can even talk about the same things and yet still seems like its the first time we ever talked about it. Someone who I wouldn't mind being trapped in an island with because I know I wouldn't die of boredom. Someone that I can talk for hours with and does not seem like we have.

3. He must be secured. Secured in his own self that nothing fazes him. Comfortable in his own skin. Secured in his masculinity that showing emotions is not a sign of weakness but of strength and humanity. I think that possessiveness and jealousy stem from insecurity. When he is secured, he knows who he is, what he is, does not really care what other people say and yet still able to get along with others. The type na puwedeng mong iwan in a party or with a group of people and he would know what to do.

4. He must have a good sense of humor. Be sarcastic even as long as it's not cruel or rude. He must know how to laugh at himself. Someone "pikon" wont work with me nor with my family. Both sides of my family have the craziest sense of humor and he should be able to deal with that. Yung marunong sumakay. He must also know how to have fun and find bliss even if we are doing nothing.

5. One who is passionate of his beliefs, of life, of what he does, of what is important to him, of every aspect of his life that when he talks about these you feel enveloped in that energy and excitement that you feel like finding your own passion as well.

6. One who would be my personal cheering squad and vice versa. One who would lift me up when I need one and I would do the same thing. One who would have faith in me when everyone else even my own self have lost it. One who when things are tough would comfort me and assure me that things have a way of working out. He may not be sure of it but at least he tried.

7. He must have a sense of family and friends. I am really close to my family. Sure, there are days that they can be crazy that I feel like pulling all my hair out but the fact still remains that they are family and they will always have my back no matter what. Same with friends. I have had the same friends since I was in first grade. They have been with me through the good and the bad times. He need not be all chummy with my friends but at least be civil and accept that they are part of my life no matter what.

8. One who would accept me for who I am and it is a guarantee I will do the same to you. He is able to see the person beyond the facade. I have my moments of "craziness" and he is able to live with that and accept that. He need not defend me when people think otherwise, just knowing that he is fine with it is enough for me. I am not "perfect" myself. He must be able to accept that and does not attempt to change me into his "idea" of who I must be.

I know that it is only asking for 8 but I want to add one more. It would be great if he knows how to cook. I think there is nothing more sexy and perfect than a guy in an apron and treats his kitchen as if it's his own kingdom. The saying "the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach" does not only apply to guys.

No comments: