Friday, March 17, 2006

Bonding time

For the past two Saturdays my relatives and I have been having some drinking sessions and our choice of drink was this. I actually do not want to refer to it as drinking sessions. When I think of it, what comes to mind is a group of people drinking and the talking part is just secondary. Usually when everyone are pretty much drunk. Ours was more of good conversations and we just happen to have some beers on hand. I am not a beer drinker but when I tried San Mig Light I liked it. It was smooth and didn't have that bitter after taste which turned me off beer before. Even when it wasn't ice cold it was still good. I know that this is not something new to my sister and brother in the Philippines but its quite new here. Its only been lately that this was available.

It was pretty fun but I admit kind of odd to be drinking with a male cousin who is 8 years older and 2 uncles, who were really not that old. Both are 40 years old and not at all far from our ages but still they are my uncles. They knew that I drink but never WITH them. Add to that we were having shots of this all around too. So it was a bit strange at first. If that wasn't weird enough, my 2 aunts and Lola were also there but they didn't drink it was just a cousin, my sister and myself.

Topics varied from the funny to serious to teasing. Being that it was only the 3 of us girls who are single, we got a lot of ribbing but it was all in good fun. We discussed family issues, relationships, and life in general. Its nice to have that relationship with my male relatives. We are able to get a good perspective into the male specie and we also got to ask age old questions about them. Not that we really got good answers but still. One funny moment was when my uncle told me specifically that "men are like diesel fuel. They need time to warm up!" To which I said "so you are admitting that you guys are slow!" This got laughs from everyone and a "batok" from my cousin. I admit I can be sarcastic and add alcohol to that, well...

Conversations like these are not at all new to me. I used to have the same conversations with my guy friends and guy cousins but never with uncles. It has been awhile since I felt I have had great conversations with people. Most of my cousins who I am always with are just in their teens. They have a far different concern that I do. So what happened this Saturday was nice. It was the first time we did it when it was just a small group of us and it was out of the blue. We just decided to get together, get some drinks and we were not expecting that it was going to turn out the way it did. It was daunting at first to open up in front of my uncles. I can do that with my brother, my cousins and my friends well because they are closer to my age and I consider them my peers. Uncles just put them in a totally different level. After all they are my mom's youngest brother and brother-in-law. I guess I was anxious to get to know them deeper because I feared it might cloud this whole perception that I have in mind of them and vice versa. I didn't want their perception of me to be clouded. But boy was I wrong. I think it was a great opportunity to get to know one another well. Now, we cannot wait for the next one.

No comments: