Just as everyone else is recovering from the flu, I think I am about to get it when flu season should already be over. I have been sneezing incessantly for the past few days. I thought it was just my allergies acting up after all I walked by someone mowing their lawn two days in a row but it lasted more than that. Then, yesterday my sneezing got worse and is now partnered with an intense sore throat. I couldn't sleep last night and this morning I woke up with pain all over my body. I hope its just due to not sleeping in a good position and not the flu.
I do not like being sick. Worse, I do not like being sick without my mom around. Call me a baby but I think no matter how independent and grown-up we become, we unleash our inner "baby" when we get sick. We want our moms to be there for us. It sucks getting sick when you are by yourself. This has happened to me once and I am not one who goes through self-pity but that particular time I genuinely felt sorry for myself. Despite the soreness, the fever, I had to get up to prepare my food and to give my medicine to me. It didn't help that I got sick towards the end of December almost into the new year. My whole body just shut down that I had no choice but to stay in bed. I sent my parents a text message of my situation and no more than five minutes later, the phone rang and it was my brother on an overseas call. My parents were worried about me that they cried when they found out I was sick. I felt bad telling them but it sure helped hearing their voices for me to get well. Sure, I would have wished for a bowl of Mana Mila's soup or my mom telling me to take my medicines on time but that call somehow eased all the pain that I felt.
My parents don't know yet that I am not feeling well and I don't intend for them to find out. I am not really THAT sick yet and I do not want them to worry. They don't need it right now when our house is being renovated. They have to take advantage that it has stopped raining to start clearing our house. Its not going to be some major thing that they would have to tear our house down. Just some adjustments need to be made so as to avoid being flooded again. My dad's best friend since high school who also happens to be a civil engineer is overseeing the clearing so that they will still be able to salvage some materials and use them in the new house. My siblings and I are really saddened that our house has to be renovated but its not like its going to be changed dramatically. Just a little lift so that flood waters wont be able to seep in anymore.
Its Ash Wednesday and I have decided to give up eating rice for the entire season of Lent. That is a shocker. But can I excuse myself today since I am not feeling well? But that would be the same as cheating. *sigh* I don't know if I will be able to fulfill this but I am just glad that I am not alone in this. Most of my family members have decided to give up eating rice as well so at least I have some company. We can all encourage each other and at the same time scold each other if and when we fall off the wagon. My rice consumption really has no direct correlation with my colds in the cure of it but drinking loads of liquids has. So I cant use my being sick as an excuse to eat rice. Oh well!
I hope this cold and sore throat go away as soon as possible and not escalate into a flu. I should really just take a rest but staying at home wont do that to me. The weather isn't helping either. One day we have warm weather, the next minute its a sudden downpour. I hope summer comes already. For the mean time, I have to fend off this nasty cold and sore throat with an overdose of juices and water. And I hope to be well enough before I talk to my parents so they wont have to worry anymore. Tinolang isda sounds really good right now but I would have to eat rice with it. Hmm, di bale na!
No comments:
Post a Comment