Nicco with his baby (??) sister
Last weekend was a proud one for our family. My only brother, Niccolo graduated from San Beda Law School. It was a culmination of four years of hardwork, sacrifices, blood, sweat and tears. I remember when my brother first told the family of his plan to enter law school, it was met with apprehension and doubt. We were not so sure how serious he was in pursuing this. This was coming from someone who was still sound asleep at 12 noon when he had a 1PM class in San Beda during his undergraduate studies. He was I guess confident because we lived just a few blocks away. Probably the harshest critic among all of us was our dad. Papa went to law school but work got in a way so he didn't finish it. He knew first hand what would entail if Nicco pursued this that was why Nicco really had to convince Papa that this is something that he would be sticking to. Papa made sure that it was not all just because of the title. Nicco had to really prove that he wanted to do this and follow it through. He took the entrance exams to law school, got accepted, graduated and now busy reviewing for the bar exams.
It must have been doubly hard for Nicco when he went into law school. He not only had to deal with his studies but at the same he had to prove something not only to himself but also to us his family. All of us are extremely proud of what he has accomplished so far but we are also probably the "reality" that he needs to make sure that things are kept in perspective. We push him to do his best and at the same time give him the biggest support that he needs. Papa may have been harsh at the start but his support was unwavering. His text messages and stories to me about the updates about Nicco speak volumes. It was only when he entered his 3rd year in law school that we were fully convinced that he was serious with this and from then on he has our utmost support.
I really believe that Nicco has what it takes to be a good lawyer. I think living with 3 sisters has prepared him in defending his case and making sure that he is heard. I admit, my sisters and I have been really harsh on him sometimes especially when it comes to life, clothes and his lovelife. I guess we manifest our love and concern that way. But the thing with Nicco is, not once did he take our ribbing seriously. To him it was just his sisters being well his sisters. If there is one thing that almost everyone, relatives and friends say about him is that he is nice. Even our high school teachers say that he is the nicest. Oh really!? But kidding aside I think he is nice but it doesn't mean that he is always like that. He has his moments too. Nicco is also probably the sweetest guy we know to a point that it can be nauseating to us his sisters. He is "malambing" to Papa, Mama, and to us as well. It is sometimes a funny sight because there is this big guy and he acts like a kid with Mama. I remember him complaining to me about this one time that he had gash on his face when he slipped on some rocks and Mama just told him "here is a tissue.". He actually wanted Mama to wipe the blood from his face. I laughed and told him that at least Mama gave him a tissue and didn't just tell him to get his own tissue. He may be nice. He may be sweet but I know he has what it takes to be a lawyer and be a good one.
The next six months are going to be tough as he reviews for the bar exams. But like when he was studying if there is one thing that he wouldn't have to worry about it's his family's support. He will have it 100% if not infinite. We would be there to cheer him on and to encourage him as he reviews. I am just glad that from the beginning he has surrounded himself with a group of friends who are also serious with this as he is. So that helps a lot too.
Congratulations dear brother! Good luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment