Saturday, January 20, 2007

This and that

When I woke up today I had all the intentions of going to the gym. Stress on the "intentions". I didn't say the execution. I got my gym bag ready and all but at the last minute I decided not to go and just do my chores instead. Plus, I really didn't feel like going alone. My sister and cousin had to go somewhere. I couldn't contact my other cousin to ask if she was going. I really should go back to the gym. I stopped going when December rolled in. Too many things to do, so little time and the first that I had to sacrifice was going to the gym. Wrong choice but had to. But that is done and over with, just have to get back to it. I have to. I need to. I am starting to feel lethargic and its not helping me at all.

********************

The weather has been so erratic of late that I have been feeling sick. I have been sneezing and sneezing and I am always cold. I am not a fan of heaters but we have too. In fact even with the heaters turned on, I still have 3 blankets to keep me warm. The weather has been crazy. So crazy that it snowed in Malibu of all places. Snow in Malibu?! A place known for its sunny weather and beaches. It also snowed in Westwood which is right in the city. As a friend of mine said, "Al Gore must be snickering somewhere". I don't think people really paid attention when he said that global warming is getting worse and worse. Now he doesn't even need to open his mouth because I think people already get the message but the question still remains, "what do we do about it?"

********************

I found myself near Sprinkles Cupcakes again this week and I couldn't be happier. I just had to buy a box of 4 cupcakes. Its costly but its good. I wasn't really that blown away by my first try but I was willing to give it another chance and good thing I did. I once again ordered 4 of different flavors: red velvet, banana, carrot and coconut. My aunt and I shared them. I tasted the red velvet before but I wasn't impressed but its the most popular flavor so I was going to give it another chance and maybe this time my experience would be a positive one. Yes, it was. The frosting wasn't too sweet and the cupcake wasn't too dry. It was just right. I liked the carrot and you can tell that they used real carrots because there were actually strips of it. The cinnamon cream cheese frosting that came with it really complimented the cupcake. We still have to try the coconut. What about the banana, you may wonder. I had to save it for last. Red velvet is the most popular but wouldn't say my favorite. But the banana..WOW! I LOVED it! Its my favorite. I almost regretted sharing it with my aunt. LOL I also regret buying just one. But at least now I know the days it is featured: Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I have to keep that in mind. The cupcake was just enough. Not too dry and not too moist either. I don't like moist banana cakes. This was my comment when my sister baked some banana cakes a few weeks ago. The creamy vanilla frosting was so good and went well with the cupcake. It would have been more perfect had there been walnuts in it but sigh I guess I cannot have everything.

********************

After numerous plans but always not pushing with it, my aunt and I are finally watching the Smuckers: StarsOnIce show today. I am really a big fan of iceskating. I don't do it but I love watching it. Its the only WinterOlympic event that I watch. Tonight I will get to see in person and perform the athletes that I have admired for a long time. Bonus is EkaterinaGordeeva and IliaKulik will be performing tonight. Though they are part of the cast, they will only be performing in select cities and Anaheim would be one of them. I really hope we have good seats. I did chose "best available seats" when I bought the tickets online. Downside is "no flash photography allowed". I am debating whether I should still bring my camera. Not to use it during the performances but who knows after. But I worry that it might delay us getting to our seats. I have seen times wherein cameras are checked in before the performance and retrieved after. I don't want to go through that hassle. But I am definitely bringing binoculars. I hope I remember where I kept it. I am so excited for tonight.

********************

As if my excitement couldn't get any better, tour dates for the US Tour of Bamboo and Parokya.Ni.Edgar have been released. Imagine two of the most popular and great Filipino bands in one concert. It has been dubbed as "The Ultimate Pinoy Rock Experience". Indeed it is. They will be in L.A. on March 17 at the Avalon Hollywood. If that isn't good news enough, their US tour will have two parts: March and October. I already checked my schedule. I am free that day and even if I wasn't I would make a point to make sure that I am. Good thing our monthly meeting doesn't fall on that day. Now if my cousin will be able to contact a friend of his who is one of the members of Bamboo in time it will be an even greater experience.

********************

There is one Korean Show that I really enjoy watching. Never mind that I am watching it without subtitles. Its called HappyTogetherFriends. (Not able to find an English website of the show.) The premise of the show is for two popular celebrities to correctly identify long-lost friends. The guests are initially behind closed doors with only pictures of them when they were younger shown to the audience. After some introductions, usually tidbits about them when they were young are revealed, they are allowed to go out to the stage. On one side of the stage is a group of people who were the guests' friends from way back. To make it more fun, random people are mixed into the group of former friends and these are people they haven't seen in ages. Most of them I think were classmates in elementary. The guests have to go up to who they think is a friend of theirs and ask the question "friends?" and and if that person is a friend he/she replies "glad to see you". Usually I think each guest has four friends each. Whoever is able to correctly identify the four friends, he or she along with the friends get to have dinner courtesy of the show to catch up on each other's lives. Keep in mind I know nil of the Korean language so I can only speculate what is going on and sometimes make up my own theories. Who knows if it is even near what is right. But I have never laughed so much in my life when I watch this show. Its funny when the guest incorrectly identifies the person as a friend and they either cant believe it or are so embarrassed. Oh if after four times that they are not able to identify a friend, the guest goes through this almost like a moving sidewalk and he/she passes through a group of people that includes the friend and random people. This group shouts out stuffs to the guests and he/she tries to identify once again which one of them is his/her friend.

I think its a good premise for a show to allow these guests to reconnect with friends they haven't seen in a long time. I don't know if I will have the same hard time as these guests experienced but we have to realize that people change whether in appearance or personality. Our friends can surprise us a whole lot especially if years has stretched between us. But since I have pretty much kept in touch with majority of my close friends, I don't need a show like this. However, I think it would still be fun to reconnect with friends that we haven't seen for a long time at all. I know I have a couple of them. But since an opportunity like this hasn't been opened to me at least I have this show to entertain me for the time being. Bonus is, one of the Korean actresses that I admire, Eugene is the new host of this show. So I really cannot wait to watch it again.

No comments: