It was my third time watching Bamboo and my second time of ParokyaNiEdgar but it still feels like the first time. The L.A. concert was sold out since the Monday before and good thing I was able to get our tickets with no problems. Tough the concert wasn't until 7PM, the doors open at 6PM but I heard that people started lining up as early as 1:30 that afternoon. AvalonHollywood was where it was held and I liked it there. It was big enough to fit all of their fans and more. I was told that it can hold up to a thousand. The stage was big enough and the lighting as well as sound were really good.
I went to the concert with my sister, cousin and friend. We all planned on meeting up early since it was a weekend and knowing how horrendous L.A. traffic can be especially the 101. But as all plans go, we didn't get to meet early as planned. We got there around 530 and there was already a long line, almost half a block long. Good thing, my friend Isy got there before we did so she was able to secure our spot in the line already. I think it was a good idea that while the people were all lined up, they already checked our IDs to identify those who were already legal to drink rather than wait when they were letting people go in. This way getting in was a breeze and hassle free. It was a bit dark going in that we had to navigate our way around to get to the floor near the stage. There was a table selling some concert merchandise. But no CDs though which was what I was hoping for. There were shirts and some I dont remember. Once inside, there was still a big space on the floor near the stage so we placed ourselves right away on what we thought was the best spot. It still was the best spot until we found out that it put us right below the giant speakers which proved to be a not so wise decision later on. By then, people have been filing in and with fear of losing a prime spot, we stayed, hoping and praying that we would be alright after.
The thing with watching concerts of Filipino artists is the high probability of seeing familiar faces. We may not know each other personally but the same faces have figured in other concerts before. This much I expected but not the sight of the five Caucasian guys right in the middle of an All-Filipino crowd. I was taken aback, I will admit and add to that when I caught a glimpse of what two of them were wearing. One had an "Ano Ka?" printed on his shirt and the other one which I found the most peculiar was the "Girls Scouts of the Philippines" on his shirt complete with the emblem. But I still wondered if they knew what they were in for. Still, it was nice though to see non-Filipinos appreciating our music. I thought that seeing them there was already a surprise, little did I know that I was in for a bigger one. When Bamboo came out, I think he sang if not "Truth", "I-You" I am not definite. (I am a bad fan!). They sang along. Nothing extraordinary there, the song was in English. But when they sang "Masaya" now this was a different story. The guys sang along in Tagalog with nary an accent. In fact I think they have better Filipino accents than some of those born outside of the Philippines. These drew stares from everyone within the immediate vicinity, including me and soon enough I think the news spread. We can't make comments like "ang tatangkad naman ng mga ito" anymore because we will be understood. The clincher though was when "Noypi" was sang. One of them hoisted his other friend on his shoulder and coaxed everyone to sing along to "hoy Pinoy ako, buo aking loob, me agimat ang dugo ko". Top that! =) As soon as Bamboo's set ended and the stage was being set up for PNE, girls swarmed to them to strike up a conversation and once again I was surprised to know that they were actually conversing with them in Tagalog...straight Tagalog, none of those Taglish ones that I myself is guilty of sometimes.
It was PNE's turn soon and as always theirs was a wacky and crazy set. I am not sure if they had a set playlist since the vocalist, Chito, was getting requests from the crowd and was singing pretty much everything that was thrown at them. He made some potshots about other people, other bands which were really funny but I wont repeat so as as not to incriminate Chito and the band. Funny how at one point he was speaking in English when he saw the five guys not knowing that they understood Tagalog pretty well. They even sang along to PNE songs as well even to a point of knowing the lyrics more than we did. Both bands were only supposed to sing a certain number of songs but PNE kept on playing until they were told that it was enough much to the delight of the crowd. But alas, some things do not last forever, and the concert ended after almost 3 hours. Not bad. But it seemed no one didn't want to leave just yet until these burly security guys started ushering us out of the place. Oh well!
If one needs proof of how much fun last Saturday's concert was, I have one..I don't have a voice. I am still hoarse from all the shouting and singing along that happened. Good thing its the only thing left that I have to deal with as of today because after the concert I could barely hear on my left ear. Being underneath those big speakers was the culprit. Until Sunday, I could hear a ringing sound which was starting to worry me but I woke up this morning feeling better. Its just my voice now. My throat isn't sore and all but I am barely audible and if I don't want to lose it more, I would have to lessen talking. But this is one small thing to deal with in exchange of the great time at the concert. Like what the poster said, indeed it was the "Ultimate Pinoy Rock Experience".
(Photos to follow)
I went to the concert with my sister, cousin and friend. We all planned on meeting up early since it was a weekend and knowing how horrendous L.A. traffic can be especially the 101. But as all plans go, we didn't get to meet early as planned. We got there around 530 and there was already a long line, almost half a block long. Good thing, my friend Isy got there before we did so she was able to secure our spot in the line already. I think it was a good idea that while the people were all lined up, they already checked our IDs to identify those who were already legal to drink rather than wait when they were letting people go in. This way getting in was a breeze and hassle free. It was a bit dark going in that we had to navigate our way around to get to the floor near the stage. There was a table selling some concert merchandise. But no CDs though which was what I was hoping for. There were shirts and some I dont remember. Once inside, there was still a big space on the floor near the stage so we placed ourselves right away on what we thought was the best spot. It still was the best spot until we found out that it put us right below the giant speakers which proved to be a not so wise decision later on. By then, people have been filing in and with fear of losing a prime spot, we stayed, hoping and praying that we would be alright after.
The thing with watching concerts of Filipino artists is the high probability of seeing familiar faces. We may not know each other personally but the same faces have figured in other concerts before. This much I expected but not the sight of the five Caucasian guys right in the middle of an All-Filipino crowd. I was taken aback, I will admit and add to that when I caught a glimpse of what two of them were wearing. One had an "Ano Ka?" printed on his shirt and the other one which I found the most peculiar was the "Girls Scouts of the Philippines" on his shirt complete with the emblem. But I still wondered if they knew what they were in for. Still, it was nice though to see non-Filipinos appreciating our music. I thought that seeing them there was already a surprise, little did I know that I was in for a bigger one. When Bamboo came out, I think he sang if not "Truth", "I-You" I am not definite. (I am a bad fan!). They sang along. Nothing extraordinary there, the song was in English. But when they sang "Masaya" now this was a different story. The guys sang along in Tagalog with nary an accent. In fact I think they have better Filipino accents than some of those born outside of the Philippines. These drew stares from everyone within the immediate vicinity, including me and soon enough I think the news spread. We can't make comments like "ang tatangkad naman ng mga ito" anymore because we will be understood. The clincher though was when "Noypi" was sang. One of them hoisted his other friend on his shoulder and coaxed everyone to sing along to "hoy Pinoy ako, buo aking loob, me agimat ang dugo ko". Top that! =) As soon as Bamboo's set ended and the stage was being set up for PNE, girls swarmed to them to strike up a conversation and once again I was surprised to know that they were actually conversing with them in Tagalog...straight Tagalog, none of those Taglish ones that I myself is guilty of sometimes.
It was PNE's turn soon and as always theirs was a wacky and crazy set. I am not sure if they had a set playlist since the vocalist, Chito, was getting requests from the crowd and was singing pretty much everything that was thrown at them. He made some potshots about other people, other bands which were really funny but I wont repeat so as as not to incriminate Chito and the band. Funny how at one point he was speaking in English when he saw the five guys not knowing that they understood Tagalog pretty well. They even sang along to PNE songs as well even to a point of knowing the lyrics more than we did. Both bands were only supposed to sing a certain number of songs but PNE kept on playing until they were told that it was enough much to the delight of the crowd. But alas, some things do not last forever, and the concert ended after almost 3 hours. Not bad. But it seemed no one didn't want to leave just yet until these burly security guys started ushering us out of the place. Oh well!
If one needs proof of how much fun last Saturday's concert was, I have one..I don't have a voice. I am still hoarse from all the shouting and singing along that happened. Good thing its the only thing left that I have to deal with as of today because after the concert I could barely hear on my left ear. Being underneath those big speakers was the culprit. Until Sunday, I could hear a ringing sound which was starting to worry me but I woke up this morning feeling better. Its just my voice now. My throat isn't sore and all but I am barely audible and if I don't want to lose it more, I would have to lessen talking. But this is one small thing to deal with in exchange of the great time at the concert. Like what the poster said, indeed it was the "Ultimate Pinoy Rock Experience".
(Photos to follow)

No comments:
Post a Comment