Friday, December 28, 2007

Herb garden

I wish I could say that I all of a sudden developed a "green thumb" and have my own herb garden. But nope that isn't the case. Its me who smells like an herb garden from the warm compress pack I have been putting on my back. The warm compress pack has all these kinds of herbs inside it. Early morning Christmas day I felt this intense pain in between my shoulder blades. I thought it would go away eventually but I was wrong. It got worse as the day went on to a point that any slight movement would make me yelp. Breathing, burping and sneezing were even painful. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain so for me to really react that way means its THAT painful. My muscles would spasm like crazy and I would feel this very intense shooting pain. My muscles were all tensed and hard. Lola massaged my back and so did a bevy of cousins. At the end of the day, I felt like an over-kneaded dough. My cousin said I should take some muscle relaxant so I did - Motrin 600, the most dosage that I ever taken. I didn't go to work the next day since I could barely move. I stayed home by myself since my aunt went to work and my aunt and uncle are already in Vegas. Even with medication and warm compress, my pain didn't go away. In fact, there were times I felt it got worse. I would just be lying down and shooting pain would come one after the other. The pain was so much that I was reduced to tears probably 3 times that day and I mean a big cryfest. My aunt, arriving from Church as I was yelping, asked if I wanted to go to the ER. I refused since I am pretty sure I would still given the same prescription. I just decided that whatever my condition was the next day that I would bring myself to work and have myself checked. By the next day, I guess my body has absorbed the medication that the pain is not that bad anymore but the spasm and the cramping was still there. At least now instead of pain in my entire upper back, it was only a small part. Painful but tolerable. I had an X-ray though it wouldn't show much if it was muscle related but at least. It showed and confirmed what I have long suspected. Like my sister and cousins, I have scoliosis. Its only slight but there is obvious curvature in the middle of my back. Another thing I inherited from my mom's side of the family. *sigh* My doctor couldn't do much about my scoliosis so he just advised me to continue with what I was doing to deal with my muscle strain.

Even with a painful back, I still went to my sister's birthday dinner and good thing I did. My cousin was there and he gave me a good back massage again. He was scared that he would crush my bones since he is pretty big but nah I was fine but today I am so thankful because my muscles are not that tensed anymore. There is still some little pain, probably just residue and pain that I have experienced from time to time, something that I can just brush aside. There isn't much spasm anymore and little cramping and the best of all the shooting pain is gone. What caused this back pain anyway? Well, I think its the way I slept over the weekend. I was sharing a bed with Lola and I was near the window and I guess in my effort to make sure I don't hit her, I slept like a "shrimp" thus aggravating my already fragile back. Now, I am really making a conscious effort not to sleep in a fetal position. That and buying a heating pad for my bed should help a lot. This cold weather has not been particularly helpful.

~ * ~
As if the low temperatures that we have been having in SoCal isn't enough, we are heading to Las Vegas later today. Nope, much as the New Year's celebration in Vegas is well known we are not going there for that. In fact, we are going home on the 30th. We are just going to go there for my uncle's 50th birthday celebration tomorrow. Then on Sunday, we head back to celebrate the New Year here at my uncle's house which we have been doing as a tradition. There will be a lot of us heading to Vegas. There would probably be 16 of us heading there tonight not to mention my uncle, Lola and cousins who plan to leave at noon and another set of relatives leaving at midnight. We were instructed to travel light to maximize space in the van that we are renting. Its not an easy task when you realize that we have to pack a lot of thick clothing not to mention beddings and linens but I think its possible. Well, if not, we better make it possible. I don't mind much the sleeping arrangements. We could just find a space at my uncle's house, lay our beddings and thats it. Its the bathroom use that is making me a bit crazy. There will be a lot of us using the two bathrooms and with a party to prepare for, it makes this crazier. But I guess we have gotten used to this situation now that we have learned to manage somehow and have things get done in time. Oh well, I will worry about that when we are there already. So, I hope that the traffic wont be so bad later.

This is the weather that we should be expecting. Yikes!!

Weather for Las Vegas, NV

38°F
Clear
Wind: SE at 8 mph
Humidity: 29%
Fri
Mostly Sunny
46°F | 33°F
Sat
Mostly Sunny
52°F | 36°F
Sun
Mostly Sunny
54°F | 37°F

Well, its only for 3 days and 2 nights. I think I can live with that. Then on the 30th we will be back to SoCal then party on the 31st woot!! Hmm..I wonder what drinks should we have for that day?? My cousins and I are the ones in charge of the drinks.

Have a blessed, safe and peaceful New Year to all!!
Hello 2008!!

No comments: