Friday, December 21, 2007

Brrrrr...

Its sunny but its really cold. The kind of cold air that penetrates even the thickest of clothing. It was raining for the past two days but it was never this cold. This morning as I was going to church for Simbang Gabi, I was just met with this Arctic chill. I know I really don't have much right to complain since I am pretty sure it is worse in some areas but this is not SoCal winter and obviously I am not used to it. I was not even used to the torrential rain that came on Tuesday. I wasn't at all dressed for it. Sure, I had a long coat but not the raincoat kind. Sure, I was in sneakers but it had a suede top. Suede!! Not long my socks were all drenched. But what else can I do but just brave it.

~ * ~

Today was the 7th day of Simbang Gabi and the sacrament that was discussed was Holy Matrimony. Fr. Nestor said something that though everyone already knows still resonated with me. He quoted a line that said "there is nothing you can do that will make me stop loving you because it was my decision to love you.". Once again, he stressed that love is indeed a decision. Its not "falling in love" because if people "fall in", they can also "fall out". The same line is also true to speak about unconditional love, because once a person has decided to love another, it means you take all that is about that person - the good and the bad. Its not an easy thing to do but definitely possible if we try. I think some people tend to forget sometimes that marriage is a work in progress. Its a continuous journey and like any journeys it is besieged with humps and bumps along the way that challenges us and this is when the vows made are tested. Though, I have no experience to base things upon, I have my parents marriage that I look up to. Its not all rosy but its real. Its a partnership not a corporation. When it is tested, they face it together and not one leading while the other follows. They have been married for 32 years and while its not devoid of problems and conflicts, they continue to persist because that is the vow and the promise that they made to each other. Fr. Nestor also said something earlier that I am not quite sure yet what I feel about it. He said that it makes him happy when soon to be married couples that he counsel tell him that they are marrying someone like her dad or like his mom. Not that I disagree with it because I actually feel that its such a nice thing. After all, they say that you can tell by how good of a husband your groom will be to you by how he treats his mother and vice versa. I just feel that we shouldn't aim for an exact replica of our parents because that is quite impossible to find. We can just get bits and pieces from them that are endearing to us and stop the comparison there. Doing more than that I feel is already a disservice to our essence as a person, of what makes us unique in our own ways.

~ * ~

Its already going to be Christmas in a few days and not only am I not done yet with my shopping but I hardly started. I don't know. Its not like I am not feeling the Christmas spirit but I have just been so busy that I really don't have much time to be at the malls. Unlike the past Christmasses I have decided this year to scale down my list. From almost 35 to i think 12. I have decided not to get the older cousins (above 9 years old) any present. Only those 9 years and under are getting a present with an exception of some like my godchild and some other people who I feel I want to give presents to. My cousins are growing up. Its not like 7 years ago anymore wherein I can just go to a Sanrio store and get everything there. They are all growing up with different personalities thus different likes and interests. I am saving myself from the stress of trying to rake my brain of what would be a fitting gift for who thus the decision to scale it down. I am glad because I am not stressed at all. My weekend is already full to the brim as it is so I have saved myself by not having to be roaming around the mall, going from store to store looking for a present. Believe me, that has happened to me before, so many times. I was at the mall for most of the day and sometimes it takes more than one trip. So, this year I have none of that.

~ * ~

I am going to do something for Christmas this year that I haven't done in a long time and that is cook. My aunt has assigned me to make baked macaroni for our Christmas Eve dinner and I am so excited. Its been a while since I last cooked something for the family so I am really looking forward to this. I just need to squeeze it between Simbang Gabi (last 2 days), making ribbons for my aunt's chair cover rental, office Christmas party (which I really don't feel like going to but I have to make a little appearance), lunch with friends and other things that may come up. I can do this. I might stretch it a bit and see if I can make another dish aside from the baked macaroni which I have to say I am really going to make from scratch - no pre-mixed sauce or something. What that dish will be, I don't know yet.

~ * ~

I would like to greet everyone a very...

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND
A SAFE, HAPPY AND PEACEFUL NEW YEAR!!

No comments: