Traveling light is a personal option. But for Filipinos, traveling light is not an option, its a waste. There have been so many jokes about Filipinos traveling not with luggage but with boxes. If you want to know where the Philippine Airlines counter is amidst the chaos that is the airport, just follow where all the balik-bayan boxes are headed. This is a no-fail strategy because for sure behind mountains of boxes would be the PAL counter. Hey, we have to take advantage of the two free 70 pounds luggage allotted for each passenger.
How many times have I heard my relatives say "sayang yung space." when the box has reached its maximum weight - 70 pounds but the box isn't full yet. Or "sayang yung weight." when the box is busting in the seams and is way below 70 pounds. I think my family have nailed the art and the science of packing down to a T. When I say family, I mean my mom, my sister and myself. Well, its more my mom and my sister now. I try to veer away from it as much as I can. Its a lot of work and they do a better job at it than I do. We have done a lot of lifting, moving around of stuff to pack to be able to achieve a full box with exact weight, the perfect balance. Its not the easiest thing to do but for some strange reason we feel a sense accomplishment when we are able to do so. Or maybe because at least my sister and I wouldn't be hearing the "sayang ang space", "sayang ang weight" comments from the peanut gallery (translation: our aunts, uncles, lola etc.).
Well, that's all going to change. I just read over at PDI - PAL to limit baggage weight on North American route. Uh-oh! The dozens of sardines and corned beef have to be cut down. The packs of Knorr Soup will have to be less. The papaya soaps will be one for each now rather than a half a dozen. The shoes, the clothes, all the pasalubongs would have to be reduced. This is going to need some getting use to. I have a ton of relatives going home this month. Thought their flight home is not going to be affected, its coming back that will be. This policy is going to take effect after July 1 and it didn't say travel to Philippines, it said travel to North America. So my relatives will be going home with 70 pound boxes but coming back with 50 pound ones. This is going to be tough. My mom will have a crazy task of packing their boxes back with 50 pounds maximum in mind. I bet there will be many that will be left behind that are most often than not are enough to fill another 50 pound box. How that will get here is a question that really doesn't have an answer yet.
I actually welcome this for some reasons. I have always wanted to travel light but I know that it was just not possible having a family that I do. But now at least its just not going to be an option for me but a requirement, something that I or them cannot do something about.
I wouldn't want to work at the PAL counter on July 1. I can already sense the confusion and chaos. Not to mention the irate passengers. Boy oh boy! Good luck! Well, at least they will sure earn from all the excess baggage fees that they will be able to collect.
How many times have I heard my relatives say "sayang yung space." when the box has reached its maximum weight - 70 pounds but the box isn't full yet. Or "sayang yung weight." when the box is busting in the seams and is way below 70 pounds. I think my family have nailed the art and the science of packing down to a T. When I say family, I mean my mom, my sister and myself. Well, its more my mom and my sister now. I try to veer away from it as much as I can. Its a lot of work and they do a better job at it than I do. We have done a lot of lifting, moving around of stuff to pack to be able to achieve a full box with exact weight, the perfect balance. Its not the easiest thing to do but for some strange reason we feel a sense accomplishment when we are able to do so. Or maybe because at least my sister and I wouldn't be hearing the "sayang ang space", "sayang ang weight" comments from the peanut gallery (translation: our aunts, uncles, lola etc.).
Well, that's all going to change. I just read over at PDI - PAL to limit baggage weight on North American route. Uh-oh! The dozens of sardines and corned beef have to be cut down. The packs of Knorr Soup will have to be less. The papaya soaps will be one for each now rather than a half a dozen. The shoes, the clothes, all the pasalubongs would have to be reduced. This is going to need some getting use to. I have a ton of relatives going home this month. Thought their flight home is not going to be affected, its coming back that will be. This policy is going to take effect after July 1 and it didn't say travel to Philippines, it said travel to North America. So my relatives will be going home with 70 pound boxes but coming back with 50 pound ones. This is going to be tough. My mom will have a crazy task of packing their boxes back with 50 pounds maximum in mind. I bet there will be many that will be left behind that are most often than not are enough to fill another 50 pound box. How that will get here is a question that really doesn't have an answer yet.
I actually welcome this for some reasons. I have always wanted to travel light but I know that it was just not possible having a family that I do. But now at least its just not going to be an option for me but a requirement, something that I or them cannot do something about.
I wouldn't want to work at the PAL counter on July 1. I can already sense the confusion and chaos. Not to mention the irate passengers. Boy oh boy! Good luck! Well, at least they will sure earn from all the excess baggage fees that they will be able to collect.
No comments:
Post a Comment