Friday, October 24, 2008

How cool is this?

My otherwise hoo-hum Friday morning got a sudden jolt upon reading on Our Awesome Planet that Anthony Bourdain...THE Anthony Bourdain of "Kitchen Confidential", "A Cook's Tour" and "No Reservations" is in the Philippines!! Woohoo!

I have always enjoyed his brand of hosting..straight forward, quirky, witty and at times laced with sarcasm that is so fresh. He goes into places that are not at all touristy but honest to goodness good food which is what its supposed to be. I watch his shows a lot even the re-runs. I have even influenced my other relatives to watch his show. While watching, we have always wondered "when is he going to the Philippines?" It seems like we were not the only ones. He said in his blog that "Of all the people who watch NO RESERVATIONS, it's been Filipinos who have been consistently among our biggest fans and most vocal about our having yet to film in their country." Well not only that when his show invited fans to send in their videos for the "FAN-atic Special" one of the finalist was Augusto Elefanio who invited Mr. Bourdain to take a trip to the Philippines and discover that our cuisine is more than just the "balut".

And now he is there. So far, it seems part of his itinerary have been Manila, Pampanga and Cebu. Those are the ones known so far. The rest is kept under wraps - too much under wraps that I don't think mainstream press are even aware that he is there which is a good thing. He strikes me as someone who really just want to keep a low profile and enjoy what he went there for which is the food and the culture. I don't know when this will air on The Travel Channel, reports have said January 2009. Which day between 1 and 31 is still to be determined. I will keep my eyes and ears peeled for this one. I am so excited to see which foods he sampled and what his take on them will be. So far, it seems he got a pretty good introduction. I read from Anton's blog that he enjoyed drinking San Mig Light (maybe a little too much too). It is a known fact how much he loves his beers. Cosmic because it is I think the only beer in this world that I can drink more than one. That and Newcastle.

3 comments:

Didi said...

I think Anton deleted the post! I super envy those who were able to meet AB!! Argh.....

Inggit ako, SUPER!!

Didi said...

I love Fritz's look! Intense! Hahaha..

raissa said...

I think Anton did delete the post. I guess kasi spoilersh siya.

I know! Suwerte yung those who got to meet him.