I LOVE MY PARENTS!
On the eve of Valentine's Day, I got a text message from my father and it said:
It's a beautiful day today made more beautiful with the thought of having wonderful children we cherish and love so much. Happy Valentine's - - Papa & Mama
That truly warmed my heart! My parents usually do not send text messages like these. But I truly appreciated it. So much that I sent my siblings a text message that who needs a date when you have your parents around who cares for you unconditionally. I told them not to be depressed if they do not have dates because by the next day, February 14 is just another day. My brother said I am being bitter which I am not! That I also need someone aside from my family. Fine. My sister said that everyday should be Valentines Day. Obviously, she is in a new relationsip right now and she is still walking on cloud 9. Let her be. On some level, she is right because I think Valentine's day is just a reason that people use in order to be extra sweet and extra attentive to their significant other and then the next day they switch back to their old self, whatever that is. It is just an excuse for candy shops, flower shops and restaurants to hike up their prices since the demand is so high. What if for one Valentine's day, people just treat it as an ordinary day, wonder what will happen. I am still glad though that I got a greeting from my parents. I love my Papa & Mama. That text message will have a permanent space in my inbox.
****************************************
ANO KA BA???
I really want to ask him that!
In one of those rare instances that we find ourselves online at the same time, he IMs me to say hello yesterday! We talked about random stuff, him telling me that he saw the pictures from the wedding that I was in 2 weeks ago. But no greeting! Not that I was expecting any but is he that dense that even as a friend he could not greet me. Crazy that I am even bothered by it. Sure, he forgot the greeting but he all of a sudden he asked me how far is this place Atascadero from me. Okay, when did I become a point of reference for distance? I do not even know where Atascadero is. First, it was Huntington Beach now its Atascadero. I know that he is planning to move to a warmer place (he lives in the East Coast). Moving to California is one of his options that he is seriously considering after all according to him, I am here, my 2 friends who happen to be his cousins are here plus he has friends who are here as well. So, given that, why ask me how far I am to these places. Why couldn't he asked the distance of where our 2 friends live to those places. Obviously, I am reading too much into this. Arrgghhhh! Ano ka ba? Ang labo mo!
****************************************
ISA PANG MALABO!
For the very first time, my brother is in his longest relationship so far. In my opinion, too long that they are confusing "being happy" with "being comfortable". According to my youngest sister, he and his gf have broken up more times that the years that they are together. My brother told me the last time that I thought they were breaking up for good was that people could already notice that he was not happy anymore. He was so confused about his situation that he had to go home to our province immediately to escape. I counseled him, telling him to break it off when they can still be friends after. But according to him, she has so many things going on in her life, he does not want to add to it. That he will bear the brunt of it, which prompted me to tell him "How can you be an anchor to someone, when you yourself is drowning!" He was not able to comprehend it at first but eventually he got what I was trying to say. Thinking that I had driven a point, so it caught me by surprise to know that they got back together. My brother's reasoning now is that she does not need any additional emotional baggage! That she has law school to worry about as if my brother does not face the same thing. My brother has law school to deal with as well! Whatever! She does not need additional emotional baggage but she will let my brother carry the load. What a load of crap! On top of that, I am told that she was once again thinking of breaking up with my brother last Valentine's day. Which by the way records have shown that the pressure of Valentines day have prompted people to break up with their significant others on that day. She refuses to accept if it is my brother initiating the break-up but she threatens him with the same thing when she does not get what she wants. What a brat! To think I thought she was the nice one after a string of girlfriends!
****************************************
Nakakasuka!
I consider myself a modern, independent woman. I have a pretty liberal view on human relationships. Whatever makes them happy. But it bothers me a lot when I see Lance @rm$trong and $heryl Crow cavorting on tv. They were on Oprah last February 11. I am not sure what the whole show was about - if it was about Lance's amazing comeback to win 6 consecutive Tour de France after battling Testicular Cancer or was it about their relationship which pretty much ate most of the airtime. I mean, I think Lance Armstrong is such a remarkable person to be able to survive and win his battle. I also think that Sheryl Crow is such a talent but like one showbiz show has stated that it seems she has now become known as Lance Armstrong's girlffriend. That isjust the same as saying that all her sacrifices to get where she is now were pointless and down the drain. On top of that, I think it is insulting to his ex-wife and the mother of his 3 children when each time she goes to the supermarket she sees pictures of her ex-husband with his new girlfriend posted in all the tabloids being all lovey-dovey. I am not privy to the circumstances around the break-up of their marriage, that is their business but I guess I was hoping that they (Lance & Sheryl) could be more discrete and respectful. She was the one who was there when he was starting to bike again. Oprah, much as I admire her, she had the audacity to say that contrary to reports, his former wife was not the one with him when he was first diagnosed but it was his mother. I do not see the point of that clarification. The wife may not have been there when he was first diagnosed but she was there when he was recovering and training again for a chance at winning another Tour de France and to four more. Sheryl Crow did not step in until the 6th. Simply put, his wife was there during the trying times but it is Sheryl Crow who is benefiting from it. And can someone please tell me what Lance Armstrong was doing being a presenter at the Grammy's with his girlfriend. Come as a date, yeah but why present an award. And what was up with her comment on stage that her gown was made from his jerseys. Hay the complexities of human relationships nga naman talaga!
****************************************
"Kung sinong mahal mo siyang ayaw sa iyo!"
That was a line from a song by Smokey Mountain. I do not remember the title of the song or the rest of lyrics but for some reasons that line keeps resonating in my brain. It is so true indeed. Why is it that the person we like do not like us back? Why is it that those who like us, we do not like them? If you find yourself in a relationship when it was instaneously a mutual liking, good for you. My cousin is guilty of this right now. She likes this guy who really does not make a conscious effort to get to know her or at least meet her halfway. She is going crazy thinking so much into it and her friends are not a big help since she is constantly asked if she likes him back because supposedly they see "sparks" in his eyes. Me, being my cynical self made a comment "baka naman its not sparks for her but he sees stars kasi naumpog pala!" I told her that sure its a nice feeling but not to let herself be consumed by it especially if there is no proof or any inkling that he sees her other than being a gentleman and a friend. It is not her friends who will be hurt if it does not turn out the way she wants it to. It will be her! And I will be at the receiving end of her tears! Geez, he could not even return a text message discussing their plans for the dance. Or supposedly they planned to hang out one weekend only to end up that my cousin and her friend were the ones invited into his planned day out with his friends. The last thing I want is for my cousin to have a broken heart! She can think of him, hope she is right but not close herself into getting to know other people. There are other guys who like her but she might be so focused on this one guy that she might pass on the chance to find her happiness which might be found in another. It is pretty hypocritical of me since I do not follow the same advice for myself but maybe because I have been there that is why I can speak from experience.
****************************************
"To assume is to risk a broken heart!"
Has been my mantra all these years.
"To not risk is to pass up a chance on love!"
My sister, Camille's comeback to my line.
Both are valid! Both have merits! Which one do we follow? ::sigh::
No comments:
Post a Comment