Monday, March 14, 2005

This and that

My weekend was a slew of family activities once again. It has been for the past couple of weeks. Not that I am complaining but I hardly remember a weekend wherein I have nothing planned. So far, as soon as it became 2005, my weekends have been an endless schedule of activities. Maybe this coming weekend will be my opportunity to look back at the past weeks and ponder on them.

Socio-civic

I have not been one who was into joining religious organizations. Nothing against people who do but I just don't feel it is something for me. I was more into socio-civic organizations like my father. So, I welcomed with great anticipation that news I got last Saturday that the An Taclobanon Association of Southern California is planning to establish a charter group of the younger members of the organization. This idea has crossed my mind countless times before when I was not totally solved in the direction that the association was going to. At one point, I was even ready to organize my own but for some reasons I didn't do it. I had a lot of ideas but I dare not say them since I was not a member, my relatives are. I did not bother joining either. Why would I join if I do not echo it's sentiments. My aunts and uncles were the founding members but through the years their participation has waned for some reasons. My uncle and I did have a pact that we will be active once again if we believe in the projects that they are going to be initiating.

So I was really elated that there is a move to make the youth more involved after all they are or I mean we are the ones who will carry the legacy of the association as well as we can inject new ideas into the organization. Having a separate group means that the parent association will be more than willing to listen to suggestions from the younger set and see its fruition. I still have to attend a meeting but I am excited. Right now I have not made any attempt to contact the people from Tacloban that I know (who may be more than the current number of members at this point) pending more information that I need to make that announcement. I just hope and pray that this isn't a "start 'em, leave 'em" thing" or else I may really be inclined to start my own and rival them. LOL

"Young Love, Sweet Love"

That was a show popular back when I was in high school I believe. I feel as if I am watching it again but this time I don't need a TV, all I need is just to listen to my cousin's stories. She just turned 18, technically, per her mom's order or request, whichever angle you want to view it, she is not allowed to have a boyfriend YET. She can hang out with her guy friends as long as its a group thing. So anyway, I don't know if I am being a nice and supportive cousin. I shouldn't be encouraging her at all because if my aunt finds out my head will be on the chopping block. But I cannot discourage her either. I am the only one close to a sibling she has. So there I was listening to her stories. She has grown up to be a pretty, young lady so of course there a few guys interested in her. But like the song of the group Smokey Mountain, "Kung sinong mahal mo, siyang ayaw sa iyo!" It is somewhat her life. She likes this guy who seems to like her back but does not seem like he is making any effort to get to know her more. There is always dead silence and awkward moments. My cousin is always the making an effort to start the conversation. According to her, he does sometimes but apparently it isn't enough since I can sense the frustration in my cousin's voice. He is not giving her enough to work on. As if she is walking on eggshells all the time because she does not who what topics are okay and what are off-limits. Most of the time my cousin is putting in 3/4 while the remaining 1/4 is his contribution or sometimes less. That is frustrating and irritating and that is the feeling that I get from my cousin. But being the nice cousin that I am, I just listen but this guy is not at all getting my vote as each day passes. Too bad for him. LOL

I tried to at least play "devil's advocate" so that maybe she will realize that she should not close her doors into getting to know other guys who are making an effort to get to know her. She is a nice kid and worth knowing. If this guy that she likes does not realize that then someone else will, only if she gives them a chance. ::sigh:: kids of today nga naman!

No comments: