Friday, April 29, 2005

Insomnia

I really should be sleeping right now considering I still have work tomorrow or make it in 8 hours but I cannot seem to sleep early no matter how much I want to or try. This weekend will pass by again with me not getting enough sleep since I seem to always sleep late or early morning on weekends. Funny thing is I hardly go anywhere or do anything that would be a reason enough for me to stay awake till the early morning. Sleeping late should not be a problem if I can bring my butt to work on time. :blush: but nope. These past few weeks I have been late to work, not that much, like 30 minutes but still I am late. My bosses don't really mind but I feel bad so I guess starting Monday I really should make an effort to wake up early so I can be at work if not early, on time which means that I should force myself to sleep early.

On other things - it has been a running joke in my family when they tease me about my dislike for
Con$t@ntine (just in case someone googles his name LOL I have no plans of getting the ire of his fans). Every Wednesday, my aunt and I visit my Lola at my uncle's house and aside from having dinner there, watching the American Idol result show has turned into a family affair. Being that, my relatives find it amusing to tease me about him because they know that I do not like him. If that makes any sense. I can't seem to explain why I don't like looking at his smug face on TV. At first he was okay but as the days passed by, he has started to annoy me. BUT, that being said, I feel though that him being booted off last Wednesday was a big injustice. I think Scott should have been booted before he did and I think he even was expecting it. I think that is just cruel since people are just prolonging his agony. Why he is still there is a mystery to me. It makes me wonder though who else are voting on American Idol. I vote and not once did Scott get my vote. Oh well, Tuesday is coming up, another round of competition, another round of voting and hopefully not another week of Scott being "safe".

I do not know if its mid-life crisis or my dad is just melodramatic but he has the worst mood swings ever. One day, he is displacing his frustrations with the world on us, the next he is the most attentive father. One day he complains of the many "gastos" and the next he comes home with a bagful of fishes for his pond and aquarium. Those fish don't come cheap mind you. We just try to understand him no matter how annoying and irritating he can be. My siblings and I joke around that it seems one of us has to gift them with grandchildren or at least a grandchild for now so that they can channel their attention to the little ones rather than on us. But that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Camille, is still far too young to even contemplate being a mom and single for the moment. Nicco has law school to finish and a girlfriend to have. Jehann has a boyfriend but is more focused on finding her career path than on giving our parents a grandchild. As for me, being that I am the oldest, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Heck, I cannot even take care of myself yet and I am going to drag another human being along. And ano yun "alien baby"? LOL I guess for the meantime my parents would have to do with Ethan, my cousin's son or their plants, fishes, aquarium and pond.

It's my friends, Chary and Rick's couple's shower this weekend. I cannot believe that in a month's time, one of my dearest friends is getting married. This is the first wedding in my small circle of friends that I will be able to attend. I was already in the US when some of my friends back home decided to get married so I was absent in those. I have known Chary and her twin sister Christy since first grade. It amazes people when they find out that Chary, Christy and I have remained friends all these time. Actually, it is not just the 3 of us who have kept in touch, I still keep in touch with all of my friends from grade school, especially the close ones. We may not see each other as often as we would want to but that has never been a reason for our friendship to vanish. Their friendship is such a blessing and a gift that I will treasure forever. I wouldn't dare make a shout-out to each and every one of them for fear that I might shut someone out. They know who they are and frankly I don't know how my life would be like had they not been in my life. After this weekend's couple's shower, we are going to Vegas for an all-girls weekend. Four of our girl friends are flying into Vegas to join us: Abigail and Sandy from Texas, Amy from New York and Rhyna from Indiana. It's going to be a weekend of shopping, spa, dinner and a show. Good, clean fun! I am so excited for that!

On a sad note, Dr. Raymundo Punongbayan was killed in a helicopter crash. He was the director of Philvolcs before his retirement, who catapulted to fame when he predicted the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo, a long dormant volcano in the mountain range of Central Luzon. He was working for the Philippine Red Cross during the time of his death. He was actually on the job when he was killed. I was always in awe of him. Which is strange since I was never been one into science. But he actually made the study of volcanoes so interesting. He could have ordered another official to survey volcanoes and other potential natural disasters but he chose to do them himself. He was indeed a scientist. I found out that he was a recipient of the Sergei Solviev Medal in 2002 for his exceptional research and skills. I read that he could have gone to a foreign country to be a consultant and be more than compensated after his retirement but he chose t0 stay in the Philippines and still be productive. Ever efficient, he was still able to email a comprehensive report to Richard Gordon before he met his untimely death. He will be a great loss to the country. RIP Dr. Raymundo Punongbayan!

Okay, I have to go to sleep now!



No comments: