Monday, August 08, 2005

Loss & Gain

After the death of Raul Roco, another person that I look up to has also passed on. Peter Jennings, the anchor of ABC News has died of lung cancer at the age of 67.

Papa was abreast with the current events. He made sure that he knew what was going on around the world, the world of showbusiness included. He passed that on to us, his children. Every day we have up to a maximum of 5 newspapers and he reads all of them from cover to cover and he encouraged us to do the same thing. He said, it will improve our vocabulary. He told us to read it aloud so it will improve our speech. More than that, he encouraged us to read about what was going on in the world, that there is a bigger world outside of the one we know. For every big event happening wherever in the world, he made sure that we are made aware of it. There were even stories that at the age of 5, I was already skimming through the pages of Time Magazine. This is why we probably know the names of news anchors or at least know them from somewhere since there was a great possibility that we have heard of those names time and time again.

Going back to Peter Jennings, I was really saddened by his passing. He was one of those reporters that I found joy watching. Aside from his good looks, he just had a way of delivering the news in a calm way, which anchors in the Philippines lack. It was never more evident during the chaotic time of 9/11. The last thing that people want is to see more panic in the news and you didn't see it with him. I was in awe because he was calm and collected save for some time that he broke down when he talked about his children. But fear abated a little bit when one listens to him. At least for that short amount of time we felt that things were going to be alright. As people remember him, I am learning more about this anchorman that I admire a lot. I knew that he was diagnosed with lung cancer in April of this year so his passing wasn't an unexpected one but nevertheless still shocking to hear. As I listen how lung cancer took him away, he was a heavy smoker, quit but the events of 9/11 made him pick up the habit again, made me think of my own father. You see Papa was a smoker. Was and I have never been more glad. Though, he wasn't much of a heavy smoker but the fact is he was still a smoker. I think this is the reason why I abhor smoking, I have never taken a single puff in my life and I have no plans of doing so. Almost 6 years ago, he quit smoking. He was doing good until stress got the better of him, he picked up the habit once again. Luckily, it didn't last very long since a few months after he started smoking again, he had a major throat infection which hindered him from talking at the start of the campaign. This made him kick the habit once again, cold turkey. This was 4 years ago and he hasn't picked up a single cigarette since. I know that probably smoking all these years have already done damage to his lungs but quitting improves his chances of his lungs clearing up.

My brother on the other hand is a different story. I don't know how he has come to pick the habit. Maybe peer pressure, maybe stress from school, maybe he wanted to have something in common with Papa. I do not know and I never press. But I do wish he quits while he is still young. Our other cousin has quit smoking and I am glad that he did as early as now. I have even bribed my brother that I will pay for his gym membership if he quits smoking and he joins a gym. He is kicking it slowly. I guess he isn't as strong as Papa to quit the habit cold-turkey. But until he quits totally, sorry no money for gym membership. He cannot fool me since Mama and my sisters are my guards. I also hope that seeing a friend of my dad's who is battling lung cancer now would be a wake-up call for him. In fact, this family friend has threatened my brother that if he (family friend) sees my brother light up a cigarette, he will slap him so hard. I hope it doesn't have to come to that. I just hope that seeing this family friend as he lay on his hospital bed after a surgery would be enough to wake up my brother.

I hope that with Peter Jennings' death, it will bring lung cancer to greater awareness. Lung cancer is the highest cause of death more than breast, prostate and colon cancer combined. It is also the most difficult to detect. Technology for its early detection is not available yet. Usually when it is detected, it means it is already in its advantage stage. Like in Peter Jennings case, he was diagnosed back in April and now four months later, it has claimed his life. I hope more people quit while they still can so they wont suffer the consequences later. We cannot and should not put the entire blame on tobacco companies because they will exist as long as there is still one smoker left in this world. People as long as they make a conscious decision to start smoking, tobacco companies will continue to produce cigarettes. No amount of taxation will make these companies disappear but the loss of smokers will. So to those who are smoking, quit now if you want to live long and healthy lives. Sadly, Peter Jennings life wasn't one of those that could be saved. The world of broadcasting has lost a great person in him. I don't think news broadcasting would ever be the same with his passing.
* * * * *
On a much happier note... I went to a concert of Bamboo last Friday and I have gained a better admiration for Filipino bands. I have always been a fan of Original Pilipino Music (OPM) but it is more evident now that I am away from home. If one looks at my CD collection, it is comprised mostly of Filipino artists with a few US artists here and there but very limited. I also buy original cds to support the Philippine Music Industry because they need it now more than ever. This is my first time seeing them perform live. Even when they were still with different bands, I have not seem them perform, so it was really exciting when I finally did. Being in a foreign country also makes one yearn for the familiar so every chance I get to watch a Filipino artist perform, I grab that opportunity. They sang songs from their two albums and some songs during Bamboo and Nathan's Rivermaya days. They started with Mr. Clay and ended with what else Noypi. They also did 2 songs as encore much to the delight of the crowd. It was a sold-out concert that people were turned away and there were even non-Filipinos there who enjoyed their music as well. I am really glad my camera arrived just in time. Bamboo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

='Brand New News Fr0m The Timber Industry!!'=

========Latest Profile==========
Energy & Asset Technology, Inc. (EGTY)
Current Price $0.15
================================

Recognize this undiscovered gem which is poised to jump!!

Please read the following Announcement in its Entierty and
Consider the Possibilities�
Watch this One to Trad,e!

Because, EGTY has secured the global rights to market
genetically enhanced fast growing, hard-wood trees!

EGTY trading volume is beginning to surge with landslide Announcement.
The value of this Stoc,k appears poised for growth! This one will not
remain on the ground floor for long.

KEEP READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

===============
"BREAKING NEWS"
===============

-Energy and Asset Technology, Inc. (EGTY) owns a global license to market
the genetically enhanced Global Cedar growth trees, with plans to
REVOLUTIONIZE the forest-timber industry.

These newly enhanced Globa| Cedar trees require only 9-12 years of growth before they can
be harvested for lumber, whereas worldwide growth time for lumber is 30-50 years.

Other than growing at an astonishing rate, the Global Cedar has a number of other benefits.
Its natural elements make it resistant to termites, and the lack of oils and sap found in the wood
make it resistant to forest fire, ensuring higher returns on investments.
T
he wood is very lightweight and strong, lighter than Poplar and over twice
as strong as Balsa, which makes it great for construction. It also has
the unique ability to regrow itself from the stump, minimizing the land and
time to replant and develop new root systems.

Based on current resources and agreements, EGTY projects revenues of $140 Million
with an approximate profit margin of 40% for each 9-year cycle. With anticipated
growth, EGTY is expected to challenge Deltic Timber Corp. during its initial 9-year cycle.

Deltic Timber Corp. currently trades at over $38.00 a share with about $153 Million in revenues.
As the reputation and demand for the Global Cedar tree continues to grow around the world
EGTY believes additional multi-million dollar agreements will be forthcoming. The Global Cedar nursery has produced
about 100,000 infant plants and is developing a production growth target of 250,000 infant plants per month.

Energy and Asset Technology is currently in negotiations with land and business owners in New Zealand,
Greece and Malaysia regarding the purchase of their popular and profitable fast growing infant tree plants.
Inquiries from the governments of Brazil and Ecuador are also being evaluated.

Conclusion:

The examples above show the Awesome, Earning Potential of little
known Companies That Explode onto Investor�s Radar Screens.
This s-t0ck will not be a Secret for long. Then You May Feel the Desire to Act Right
Now! And Please Watch This One Trade!!


GO EGTY!


All statements made are our express opinion only and should be treated as such.
We may own, take position and sell any securities mentioned at any time. Any statements that express or involve discussions with respect
to predictions, goals, expectations, beliefs, plans, projections, object'ives, assumptions or future events or perfo'rmance are
not
statements of historical fact and may be "forward,|ooking
statements." forward,|ooking statements are based on expectations, estimates
and projections at the time the statements are made that involve a number of risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results
or events to differ materially from those presently anticipated. This newsletter was paid $3,000 from third party (IR Marketing).
Forward,|ooking statements in this action may be identified through the use of words such as: "pr0jects", "f0resee", "expects". in compliance with Se'ction 17. {b), we disclose the holding of EGTY shares prior to the publication of this report. Be aware of an inherent conflict of interest resulting from such holdings due to our intent to profit from the liquidation of these shares. Shar,es may be sold at any time, even after positive statements have been made regarding the above company. Since we own shares, there is an inherent conflict of interest in our statements and opinions. Readers of this publication are cautioned not
to place undue reliance on forward,|ooking statements, which are based on certain assumptions and expectations involving various risks and uncertainties that could cause results to
differ materially from those set forth in the forward- looking statements. This is not solicitation to buy or sell st-0cks, this text is
or informational purpose only and you should seek professional advice from registered financial advisor before you do anything related
with buying or selling st0ck-s, penny st'0cks are very high risk and you can lose your entire inves,tment.