I finally got hold of this novel "When Chic Hits The Fan" by Kitty Go. It is an entertaining and funny read but I got bored in some parts. Though it is fiction, I wonder how much of the book was taken from actual events, names changed of course. It basically chronicles the life of a magazine editor being an insider in the world of fashion, society and entertainment. I am not much of a reader of the Society pages in the Philippine newspapers so I have no idea who these people are and I really couldn't care less either. I admit I would read once in awhile but only for its entertainment value and usually because I have read through every page of the newspaper and I am still yearning to read some more.
It was funny but I found the tone of the writer quite spiteful or maybe the character was meant to spiteful. It felt like I was reading one long rant and no resolution was in sight. I also found the other characters very shallow, well maybe that was really who they are and what they are supposed to be. Some of the chapters left me hanging on what exactly happened to the certain individual who was the focus of the chapter. It's like the chapters were written in a hurry that the author forgot to write a chapter conclusion or ending. Towards the end of the novel, my hometown Tacloban was mentioned. But I do not know if it was a compliment or an insult. Let's face it, Tacloban is hardly mentioned anywhere outside of well... Tacloban. I had classmates in college who had a "huh" look or a "saan yan?" look in their faces when I would answer their question.."where are you from?" Sometimes I even have to refresh their Philippine geography so they would have an idea where in the map of the Philippines they can find my city. For a novel, read by a lot of people, to mention Tacloban was I guess a feat. But the thing is how it was described was kind of insulting to me, enough for me to read that certain paragraph several times. It was in the chapter of this guy who threw a party at the MET in Manila. The sentence that threw me off as said or whispered by a private banker was.."I can't believe you feel bad because this party only shows how low one can go - first Hongkong, Bangkok, Manila soon Tacloban." Wow to be in same sentence as these other cities must be nice and among all the other cities in the Philippines, the writer picked Tacloban. Why? I have no idea. But the way that it was insinuated was quite insulting. Hello, Tacloban may not be metropolitan but at least majority of the houses have phones and cable TV when most of the country still had "party lines" and local channels. Beaches are 5 minutes away and within walking distance, no detailed planning required. People can walk during the early mornings and late at night along the streets and not an ounce of fear that one's life is in danger. The moon and stars seem nearer because no bright lights are sharing in its brilliance, fresh air and clean water. Papa told me to be proud and happy I grew up in the countryside and proud and happy I am. So for my city to be mentioned in such a way hits a raw nerve. Plus the fact that I had not so nice experiences from my classmates back in college about my city that's why I am quite defensive about this. It felt like I was back in college all over again. But I guess it wasn't as insulting and disturbing when a daughter of Tacloban, Imelda Marcos announced to the whole world, the documentary about her life was screened in Cannes, that who would have thought that a girl like her who came from a third world country, Philippines and a third rate province, Leyte would get to where she is now.
It was funny but I found the tone of the writer quite spiteful or maybe the character was meant to spiteful. It felt like I was reading one long rant and no resolution was in sight. I also found the other characters very shallow, well maybe that was really who they are and what they are supposed to be. Some of the chapters left me hanging on what exactly happened to the certain individual who was the focus of the chapter. It's like the chapters were written in a hurry that the author forgot to write a chapter conclusion or ending. Towards the end of the novel, my hometown Tacloban was mentioned. But I do not know if it was a compliment or an insult. Let's face it, Tacloban is hardly mentioned anywhere outside of well... Tacloban. I had classmates in college who had a "huh" look or a "saan yan?" look in their faces when I would answer their question.."where are you from?" Sometimes I even have to refresh their Philippine geography so they would have an idea where in the map of the Philippines they can find my city. For a novel, read by a lot of people, to mention Tacloban was I guess a feat. But the thing is how it was described was kind of insulting to me, enough for me to read that certain paragraph several times. It was in the chapter of this guy who threw a party at the MET in Manila. The sentence that threw me off as said or whispered by a private banker was.."I can't believe you feel bad because this party only shows how low one can go - first Hongkong, Bangkok, Manila soon Tacloban." Wow to be in same sentence as these other cities must be nice and among all the other cities in the Philippines, the writer picked Tacloban. Why? I have no idea. But the way that it was insinuated was quite insulting. Hello, Tacloban may not be metropolitan but at least majority of the houses have phones and cable TV when most of the country still had "party lines" and local channels. Beaches are 5 minutes away and within walking distance, no detailed planning required. People can walk during the early mornings and late at night along the streets and not an ounce of fear that one's life is in danger. The moon and stars seem nearer because no bright lights are sharing in its brilliance, fresh air and clean water. Papa told me to be proud and happy I grew up in the countryside and proud and happy I am. So for my city to be mentioned in such a way hits a raw nerve. Plus the fact that I had not so nice experiences from my classmates back in college about my city that's why I am quite defensive about this. It felt like I was back in college all over again. But I guess it wasn't as insulting and disturbing when a daughter of Tacloban, Imelda Marcos announced to the whole world, the documentary about her life was screened in Cannes, that who would have thought that a girl like her who came from a third world country, Philippines and a third rate province, Leyte would get to where she is now.
If that wasn't enough, a few chapters more was a story where the character's first name is the same as mine, same spelling and all. But the character was just so shallow, petty, user-friendly, not to mention dumb and worse a social climber. I know I am nowhere near that character but I take pride in my name because people have complimented me for having such an unusual name, sharing it with some amazing people - former First Lady of USSR, Raisa Gorbachev, a philosopher and poet, Raissa Maritain, a scientist, Raissa D' Souza, and a singer from London, Raissa. Plus it means "thinker" in French. Yeah I was bored one time and I searched for my own name. Quite pathetic but at least I learned something. So imagine my reaction to find it in a book I was reading, hardly ever happens and attached to a character in such a way was just disturbing and weird.
Of course like any novel, it included a disclaimer: "This is purely a work of fiction. All names, places and situations that may be familiar to real life are coincidental. The contents do not reflect the views of the publisher, the author's former and current employers, friends and enemies, family (in heaven or hell), household staff (efficient and inefficient), pets (dead or alive), Chinese tutor, and clothing suppliers (Baclaran to Balenciaga)." But really, disclaimers are just protection from being sued for slander. Who can really prove that these are just figment from one's imagination.
I know! I know! It's just a book, a fiction at that. It really means nothing and it wasn't the author's intention if some of her readers will take offense from it. I am just being way too sensitive about this whole thing. I should really just enjoy it and not think too much about it. I am still going to continue reading the book until I finish it. I am almost done, no sense stopping now. But this is a good thing for Contemporary Philippine Literature because people are realizing that there are a bunch of talented writers in the Philippines, capable of writing intelligent, relevant and enjoyable works. This is a much needed and timely exposure. For that alone, I commend the book for bringing awareness into the surface. But now I want my Summit Books.
ETA: Finished reading it. The ending seemed hurried to me. The main character was able to get out of the not so savory situation she was in but it didn't seem like she ever learned anything from her whole experience. Oh well, I can put this behind me now.
No comments:
Post a Comment