Today is my parent's 31st weddinganniversary. Quite a feat, if you ask me. I don't know how else I am going to pay homage to my parents for everything that they have done for me and my siblings. I think no matter how much I try to put into words all the appreciation, it would never be enough. Three years ago, I decided to put into a really long letter pretty much everything that I want to tell my parents. I am going to post some of it to give anyone willing to know a glimpse on what kind of parents my siblings and I have been blessed with. Its quite personal but since my paternal lola has pretty much shared it with anyone, I might as well do the same. I am sure the past 31 years have not all been rosy and good times but my parents affection for each other has not wavered through the years. I think it has been strengthened now since its just the two of them most of the time at home. Papa's work entails him to go on business trips. He doesn't particularly enjoy them but it is necessary. So even if its going to be an additional expense, he brings Mama along because not only would Mama be able to travel but also because Papa would be able to sleep. We thought that Papa was just acting but he really is not able to sleep when he is by himself. We are a not a very vocal family or a touchy feely one but we show our respect and appreciation through our actions, love and care. All four children may be adults now but I know that in our parents eyes, we will always be their babies and its not going to change no matter how old we get.
June 10, 2003
I hope that we have never given you big headaches, big problems or big heartaches. If we did, I am sorry, it was never intentional. I don't think we would do anything to intentionally hurt either of you. It is the last thing that we would want to do after all the sacrifices that you have done for us. We may have not thanked you enough for everything but we do appreciate and are grateful for everything that you have gifted us with. More than the material things, you have given us something important and that is to believe in ourselves. You have supported us through everything that we have set our hearts and minds into and that makes all the difference in the world. On top of it all you have made sure that we did things as a family. Be it just having a dinner in our backyard, playing a meaningless but fungame of Word Factory, those lazy Sunday afternoons of nothing, sitting in our porch, staring at the stars, those good natured teasing or going around downtown on a whim especially the morning after a typhoon, we found ways to enjoy each other's company with fewer trappings but more on laughter and just plain good times. I look back at those when I feel homesick and my spirits are lifted right away. I am grateful that I have those moments to think about because it makes me sane living in this crazy world. I know that my being away from home was hard to accept but you nevertheless relented because it was what I have decided to do. That support makes all the difference because I know that whatever I decide to do I have your back and you have mine. You never fail to tell me and make me feel that I can always go home when the time comes that I decide to. I am truly grateful for that.
I thank you for your no-TV rule on weekdays because it fostered a great relationship among the four of us; the single telephone line growing up because it allowed us to be considerate of other people, well at times anyway, hehehhe!; the one televisionset in the house because it has allowed us to share the remotecontrol with everyone and come up with a compromise on what to watch; most of all is that you allowed us to make decisions even on the most trivial things because it taught us to take responsibilities for our actions and to know the consequences of our actions. You also never failed to reprimand us when we have gotten out of line. We didn't fully understand the rationale of it all then but looking back at it, we now understand. You just wanted us to walk in the right path.
I think more than being great parents, the important thing is that you are great people in your own ways and not once have one of you tried to be better than the other. Yours is a relationship that is balanced, there is no one wanting more power than the other. Parenting indeed is a shared responsibility and never was it ever clear when we would ask permission and we were bounced from one parent to another on who will give the final say. It was funny then and its still is. The way that you are with each other influenced our own choices more than you would ever know. It's not us being picky for no reasons but all the people who came into our lives and who will come into our lives have big shoes to fill and we have always been taught not to expect anything less. I saw how you have treated each other, with respect, understanding and love. I want the same thing for myself and for my siblings that's why I guess it's going to take awhile for us to find those individuals who will treat us the same way that you treat each other. We will be patient because we will not want anything other than what we have grown accustomed to and grown up looking up to.
We may have grown up more sheltered than others, that, we are aware of but never defined who and what we are. What define us are the love that you have never failed to shower us with, the support and love that you relentlessly and unconditionally give and the kind of example that you have shown us. We are your children, yes but you treated us with respect. You treated us as individuals and allowed us to be one. You treat us as adults when we act like one and treat us as kids when we are acting like one. I know it's hard to let go of your children when the right time comes but you did anyway because you know that it's for our own good too. The important thing is that you don't totally let go and you make us feel that we can always jerk that string and you will pull us through. We are indeed better than anyone not because of our status in life but because you have taught us to magnify and appreciate the good things in people and overlook the bad things. That defines a good person and that is what we aspire to be.
I once heard from someone that "the best gifts parents can give their children are roots and wings." You have given us both and continue to give us both. My family has always kept me grounded, kept me real having to live in this changing, superficial world. You have given us roots strong enough to weather the storms that have come our way and will continue to come our way. More than giving us wings for us to fly, you flew with us until it was time for us to soar the vast, blue sky on our own, securing us a nest where we can go to after flying around this big, blue world called LIFE.
We may not say it often enough but we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We appreciate everything that you have done for us. You have done more than you think you did and that will be our edge when we take our proper place under the sun. Thank you for giving us roots, for allowing us to earn our wings, for allowing us to dream our own dream, for letting us walk our footsteps and not follow yours, for holding our hand as we cross each road and street, for all the hugs when we hurt, for the care when we scraped our knees (yes, Mama even that, even if it was borderline barbaric at times, at least we have no visible scars!), for the scolding and the explanation afterwards because it gave us a better perspective that we were not being reprimanded for no reason and that it was for our own good, for being our friends when you need to be one and most of all for the love and support that you have always given us and continue to give eventhough it wasn't returned at times. You prepared us to face the world, by leading as good examples and by gifting us with morals, values and principles that will be our source of strength in making wise and sensible decisions in life. Trust not the world but trust yourselves that you have taught us well enough to survive in this jungle.
I love you with all my heart and protect you with my life! Strip me with all the luxuries in life, I will still be happy because I have you with me and that's what counts the most in this life. Life is not easy, no one said it will be but we all have made it better for one another and that is what is important.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY PAPA & MAMA!

No comments:
Post a Comment