Thursday, May 04, 2006

No cost therapy

You Should Be a Poet

You have a way with words... and a talent for drawing the pure emotions out of experiences.
Your poetry has the potential to make people laugh and cry at the same time. You just need to write it!

Writing is my therapy, my stress reliever as well and if I am able to evoke emotions in other people when my intention was just to feel better myself or let off some steam then I guess I made a difference. When it comes to writing, I am my worst critic. I made a mistake of asking my mom to send me the poems I wrote back in high school and I cringed. If I wasn't lactose intolerant already I would be by the amount of "cheese" that were in those poems. I guess I just had to chalk it up to my being young then. I just wrote on the basis of what I knew then and what I felt at that particular point in my life. I am also very conscious that it has to be grammatically correct, the spelling is right and it makes sense. That's why the 3 most important companions that I must have when I write are: dictionary, thesaurus and spelling dictionary.

I have also written in the most peculiar places. One time in the middle of the most crucial time writing my college thesis, I stopped working on it, took out a piece of paper and wrote a poem in less than 30 minutes. I guess I just had to rest my brain. Yup, I rest my brain by doing another thing that requires me to use it. I also once wrote a poem during a debut of my sister's friend; while looking after our bakeshop then; after reading a book about Soulmates on a 4 hour road trip and other really strange instances. I guess this is the reason why I have to have paper and a pen with me at all times because I don't know when inspiration would strike.

My sister asked me why I haven't compiled or published my short stories and poems, after all there are a lot of them. I guess, I just never felt confident enough about my writing for me to share with a lot of people. My family and friends and maybe a few strangers here and there are enough for now at least. I am actually not scared of rejection. I think its a good thing so I may improve. My parents have encouraged me but there just hasn't been a chance or I don't know if its really something that I want to do. Maybe because, a lot of my short stories and poems are very personal to me, an extension of who I am, of what I feel, of what I think. Its like imparting a part of myself to a lot of people, which I may not yet be prepared to do. Plus, I am not sure if I really want to do it on a long term basis. I write when I want to, when I need to, when I feel like it. I just feel that if the pressure is there to come up with something sensible at a given time, it will take away the fun part of it from me. I really write to keep my sanity and to express myself, now if it gives comfort, hope, joy to someone else then, that is just the bonus, the icing on an already decadent cake. But I am not closing any doors. Tomorrow is after all a new day.

No comments: