We worked on the favors last night and once again, an aunt said that an explanation must be given/read why these are treasure boxes. This isn't the first time I heard about it but maybe my aunt was thinking more on the basis that guests may not get why the favors are such. But as she is repeatedly asking, it seems she herself and who knows who else DON'T get it either.
Okay, what is it about the treasure box as a theme for a person's 85th birthday they don't get. Sometimes, I wonder if they even know their mother at all. A treasure chest is typically made of wood, the sturdy kind. It has a simple exterior to mask the gems inside. It is made to survive good and bad weather. My Lola is just like that. To anyone who has seen her, it would be such a shock to know that she had 15 kids, all natural birth. She is a small lady and yet underneath all that is a wealth of memories, experiences and history. We put anything that we hold dear, what we hold important, things that we have accumulated over the years in a treasure box and once we open it, stories come surging. That is Lola.
I guess they got so used to just having colors as theme like last year for Lola's 84th, we all wore red. All the decorations were red and that's it. But this time, we, the cousins decided to go with a different approach. We decided on a theme that will best capture who Lola is, what she is, what means to us, her travels and travails. It was not easy coming up with a theme because we wanted to encapsulate anything and everything about her, thus a treasure box. Our centerpieces are more towards the rustic side, which is being met with apprehension right now. And what have they seen so far? Oh just empty frosted flower vases and matte gold candle holders with star cut-outs. By the day of the event, we plan to fill the vase with fresh flowers, put tealight candles inside the candle holders and put them on top of the table.
If they don't get it, ask me. Not that I am hearing snide comments when I don't need to. If they have questions, direct them to me and not me hearing it from people. I swear its such a coward thing to do. I don't like it at all. Here we are cousins doing the best that we can given the limited resources and money that we have, is it too much to ask if they could be more considerate and positive? They are bringing my younger cousins' morale down and I am trying to rally them up. I need a long vacation after this.
No comments:
Post a Comment