Four years of school. Five months of review. Four Sundays of whole day exams, my brother Nicco wearing his red San.Beda Law jacket emerged from the Engineering gate of DLSU along with his fellow Bedan barristers. Nicco told me that it has been a tradition with the Bedan barristers to come out of DLSU all at the same time wearing their jackets amid the beer splashing and loud cheers.
Mama said that weariness was written all over his face. But I also saw relief. That was what he told me to when I finally spoke with him. What is commendable is that Nicco has maintained a positive attitude throughout. Apryll, a family friend and one of my closest friends saw him and mentioned how relaxed Nicco was compared to how she was when she took it last year. Even through a bout with cough, Nicco still maintained his laid-back attitude which we all envy. He said he has done all that he could. His fate now lies on the hands of the people checking their exams.
Up until the Saturday before the last exam, my parents haven't seen Nicco for the entire month of September. Though they spoke to him regularly, my brother asked that they didn't come to Manila for the first day and just on the last day instead. It did my parents good because knowing them they wouldn't be able to mask the concern and the helplessness that they felt as Nicco goes into the biggest "pressure cooker" of all. In fact, my dad was an emotional wreck the first two Sundays. They even had relatives around on the first day. He knows how big this is for Nicco and like any parent if he could deal with the pressure instead of my brother, he would do it in a heartbeat. My sisters and I just told Papa that he has to keep it together because this is the last thing that Nicco has to be concerned with. I was emotional too but I tried to keep it in check. I have faith in my brother that he will be able to pull through. The less stress and worry the better. This is also why we made sure that he didn't know about our uncle's passing until the 3rd week of his exams. He died just before his first day.
My parents along with my sister and cousin were early and they were pretty anxious while waiting. Mama likened it to waiting for someone who has been incarcerated for a long time. Well, it did almost feel like that since as soon as he was done with school, his life has all been about review with an occasional breaks here and there. So it was such a relief for my parents to finally see him after such a long time. Camille said that it was such an emotional moment. Mama cried. I was expecting Papa would but he didn't but Mama said that he was already about to. I even cry just by looking at these pictures.
I kind of had an idea how a barops look like but I didn't realize how huge it was until my sister would constantly text us for updates as they were waiting near Mc.Donalds. The exam wasn't going to end until 5 PM but they were already in the vicinity by 330 so they could find a good spot to meet him. Papa said as early as noon, roads leading to DLSU were already closed and different schools were already setting up. Mama had chills seeing such a sea of people all anticipating the emergence of some 6, 344 barristers, the highest in history who took the chance of becoming full-fledged lawyers. It seemed like one big block party with bands, cheers, beers and even food.
I only have one brother but in the course of this journey that Nicco took, my sisters and I have gained 3 more. They have become more than my brother's classmates and friends. During trying times and Camille's hospitalizations they have been there not only for Nicco but for Camille as well. So it was such a nice gesture that they all went to meet up with my parents after.
Al, Anton, JP & Nicco - the worst is over. Have fun for the time being. Worry about the results when its near. =)





No comments:
Post a Comment