It has been 40 days since Tito Augie passed away. Our tears have all dried out but it still doesn't ease the fact that we still have this emptiness in our hearts. Forty days have passed and yet we all are still in disbelief that he has left us forever. Somehow at the back of our minds, we are waiting for a moment that he would appear and tell us "gotcha, joke's on you!" But we know that wouldn't happen so we just need to do what we need to do.. move on with our lives. I admit it was pretty hard. A friend validated that but also said that we still have to move on. Our lives have to go on. We just put in our minds that he has left us because he has already served his purpose and we have memories of him to remember him by. We talk about him because in that way we heal ourselves and also our way of not forgetting him. Looking back, some of our interactions with him were pretty simple, ordinary even but now we realize lessons and wisdom were embedded in those. Those are the ones that allow us to finally come to an acceptance that he is no longer around but his spirit remains with us.
Probably because we were close in age so he treats me more of a friend than a niece. He was our "taga-tagay" when we would have drinking sessions, peppered with his jokes and comments. There were times that I felt he was too cocky and wanted attention so much but I realize now that he was just being himself and he just wanted to enjoy each moment that he had with us. I had a tiff with him once because I didn't like one comment he made. It was a comment that I felt was disparaging to people from Leyte and one that he didn't have a right making since he hasn't been there. It wasn't the first time but at that particular day, I didn't get much sleep and was cranky and then I heard his comment so I gave a snide comeback. But after that all was well with us. In think it even made him know and respect me more so he has ceased making such comments at least within my hearing shot.
Tito Augie was the type of uncle that I would both love and dread to introduce a guy friend to. I would have loved to introduce a guy friend to him because he has a way of making people feel comfortable and welcomed. I have seen how he is when we introduce new people to him, he would go out of his way to make them feel welcomed, talked to them, gave them his attention. But it also depends on the person. My cousin said it well when he said that people either love of hate Tito Augie. But the difference is even if one hates him you will still like him a little, if that even makes any sense. I would dread it though because he would definitely put someone or me on the spot with his teasing. He did that a lot so if a person is "pikon" or lacks sense of humor, he/she wouldn't like Tito Augie that much. But that will be the true test though because if one will be able to come out of a meeting with him alive, the rest of the family would be easy.
He puts so much importance on family. He doesn't fail to remind us, cousins that we have to stick together because we are family. He always told me that he will be there for me when I would need him. Their house is open for me and if I need anything to just call. He was that accommodating and available. I remember one time that the bus I was riding in broke down and it was getting dark, I called him and he came to pick me up even if I was out of his way. He particularly enjoyed it when all of us cousins are all together and I am glad that on one of few times before he died we were all together. He spoke to us on a level that we will all understand. He never exerted this status of "I am your uncle, you do as I say" thing. If we spoke, he listened intently and gave advice when he had to. He also would word his advice in a manner that even my youngest of cousin would understand. He dealt with us on our own levels from my 3 year old cousin to my 40 something cousin.
His jokes, stories, comments, wisdom and company are what we all miss the most but these are also the ones that are carrying us through. When we talk and we do our own remembrance of him, we still take lessons from them. It is only now that we are starting to realize that what we thought he said before was a given seemed to be now our saving grace and that is each other. We are all dealing with the loss as best as we can but the important thing is we are dealing with it together as a family. He must be smiling down on us right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment