Monday, March 05, 2007

A little bit rusty

After almost 10 years of not baking, I started baking again last night. From my previous posts, I have this "love-hate" relationship with red velvet cupcakes from Sprinkles. My first experience wasn't all that pleasing but my second one was. The shop is so far away from me so its going to be hard when I have one of those days that I am just craving for some cupcakes plus they don't come cheap ($13/4 cupcakes). I thought why don't I make this. So I searched for recipes online and I found one that has been tried and tasted at Dessert Comes First. I also went to as far as making the cream cheese frosting which is a good compliment to the cupcake.

Like I said, I haven't baked in over 10 years so I was a bit lost last night. I was also used to just using the hand mixer so my sister's Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer needed some getting used to. My sister who took up Hotel & Restaurant Management and went to baking school was giving me a hard time. We had all the ingredients except.. we didn't have enough of the red food coloring that the recipe asked for. We lacked another 1 ounce and no one wanted to go out to get some more, so what do we do? We improvised. We just put in an ounce and hoping that it would still be red velvet and not some pale looking thing. My OC-ness came to effect again because I don't know how many times I went over the recipe, making sure I didn't miss an ingredient or a procedure that could make my cupcakes a flop. Good thing, I got everything covered. It actually came out pretty good. It tasted good too that's what my relatives said. It wasn't over beaten. It was fluffy. It was moist. It smelled good and just had that hint of cocoa in it. Baked just right and best of all it was still red. I still have to taste what I made. For some reasons, I can't eat what I make right away. My only mistake was, I filled the muffin cups too much that it overflowed but it wasn't something that couldn't be remedied. I trimmed the extras away before putting in the frosting which came out good as well. (Pictures to follow)

I didn't think I would miss baking this much but I do. I think I will start baking again. I have been telling myself for a long time to bake again but just didn't get around to doing so until my aunt asked me if I knew how to when I was pointing out to my sister that the banana cupcakes she made was over beaten. My aunt didn't know that I baked, way before my sister went to school for it and now turned it into a business. Even in high school 6th grade even, I was already baking. Our parents anniversary is in May and in the Philippines that's summertime which means no school and therefore no allowance. We didn't have money to buy them presents, but we had ingredients readily available to us since we had a bakery back then. So, I would bake my parents a butter cake with butter cream icing and that was our present. It was always a hit.

Taking up culinary arts in college actually entered my mind but at that time, being a chef just wouldn't make the money. I also thought this is a hobby of mine that I love to do, I don't want to be doing this for a living. Before I knew it, I have stopped baking all together that is until last night. Last night's experience actually made me re-discover that passion for baking. I felt good especially after it came out well. Now I have a list of what I want to bake in the future.. cupcakes, cakes, creme brulee, panna cotta, anything and everything. I thought I was a bit rusty but I still got it and that makes me so happy.

No comments: