Friday, December 14, 2007

Gearing up

I woke up before my alarm clock this morning and also yesterday. I think it is my body's way of gearing up for the start of Simbang Gabi tomorrow (Saturday). Unlike in the Philippines, when it officially starts on the 16th, here in our parish its on the 15th running until the 23rd. I think the reason why they did this was because there's usually a lot going on at the church on the 24th. With the daily masses and the midnight mass to prepare for. This schedule works just fine with me though it means waking up an hour earlier as if I don't wake up early already but its okay. This is my sacrifice and besides its only for 9 days out of the entire year.

I think this is the fourth year that I am going to Simbang gabi and so far I have completed it two times. There is a different feeling when I am able to complete it. I cant explain it. Holy Family Catholic Church in Artesia is the only parish in the archdiocese that holds all 9 morning masses. The other parishes just have one day and usually at night. The masses are at 530 and immediately after that everyone is invited for breakfast prepared by the different parish organizations. The masses are also said in Filipino making us feel as if we are back home save for the very cold weather. It can be pretty brutal since temperatures dip really low in the mornings. These past few days we have been having a cold snap. All we can do is just dress warmly and look forward to the hot breakfast that awaits us.

Going to Simbang Gabi has been like my "panata". It is my novena, the only one really that I make sure to complete. There has been sayings that whenever someone completes the simbang gabi that they get to make a wish and that wish is granted. This could just be a legend or what but this is not the reason why I want to complete it. Its more of my prayer, my novena for my intentions. I don't know if its just coincidence but one of my intentions last year was fulfilled this year. So I am more than determined to complete it this year, not so much in the hope that my other intentions be granted but more of thanksgiving for the year that has been.

Another great thing about the Simbang Gabi at Holy Family is that its not only all about hearing the mass but its an education too. Each year there is a theme that is being followed by the priests when they deliver their homilies. Last year was about the parts of the mass and this year, I was told that its going to be about the Sacraments. Most of what I know about the Sacraments I got from years and years of Catholic education so I am really looking forward to learning more and this time from the priests. I hope to have a better appreciation of the Sacraments much like I had a better appreciation of the parts of the mass from last year. The priests at Holy Family never fail to inspire me with their homilies most often interjected with humor which is really welcomed by an otherwise sleepy crowd. I know I do.

The past years, I have been posting pictures of the sky for each day. I might just do it again this year. We will see.

No comments: