Thursday, December 06, 2007

Doing this made me hungry

I was tagged by Oggi. This is so unlike the other "meme's" I have answered because this one is centered around food - anything and everything about it. So, here goes...

What were you cooking/baking 10 years ago?

I wasn’t cooking or baking much but I was more of making. Making fruit salads, buko-pandan, mango float, mango gelatin, turon etc. If I even cooked it was usually baked macaroni or spaghetti upon the request of my cousins. I am probably the only Filipino I know who isn’t so fond of putting hotdogs in my meat sauce. And oh yeah, I dont put ketchup as well.

What were you cooking/baking one year ago?
After a long time of not cooking and baking, I decided to pick it up again and made some Red Velvet Cupcakes. I searched for a recipe online and tied making it. It wasn’t so bad. I made a little bit of a mess in the kitchen and was asking my sister constantly but the cupcakes came out good.

Five snacks you enjoy:

  1. Turones (Casuy, Mani, Pinipig anything)
  2. Barquiron
  3. Pancit Bihon with Hot Pan de Sal
  4. Wheat Thins with cream cheese
  5. Cheese Rolls from Goldilocks (I almost always buy a dozen because I can eat 9 of those already, not all at the same time but still)

Five recipes you know by heart:

  1. Spaghetti with Meat Sauce (Filipino in taste but no hotdogs)
  2. Beef Steak
  3. Buko-Pandan Salad
  4. Mango Gelatin
  5. Mango Float

Five culinary luxuries you would indulge in if you were a millionaire:

  1. Build a big and state-of-the-art kitchen in my house.
  2. Open my very own pastry shop.
  3. Restaurant hop – eating at different restaurants for every meal, everyday.
  4. Buy a plane so that when I feel like eating any of the native foods from Leyte, I can just hop on a plane and eat all the bibingka from this little store in T. Claudio; pastillas from Carigara, lechon, binagol, moron, roscas from Barugo, galleta from Bato, etc. All the fresh seafood to my hearts content (and pain – clogged artery anyone?)
  5. Buy crates and crates of mangosteen, ripe Philippine Mangoes, unripe green mangoes, pomelo, igot (it’s a type of berry that can only be found in Leyte) and bring them wherever I go.

Five dishes you love to cook/bake:

  1. Spaghetti or any pasta dish
  2. Red Velvet Cupcakes and any dessert and pastries
  3. Filipino cuisine
  4. Thai cuisine
  5. Beef Steak

Five dishes you cannot/will not eat:
I only have 2 general rule on what foods I wont eat and those are:

  1. As long as it doesn’t have poison.
  2. As long as its not an exotic animal or if it is, I prefer not to know.
Five favorite culinary toys:

I don’t have much culinary toys just yet but I would want to have:
  1. my own Kitchen Aid mixer
  2. Crème Brulee set

The rest still to be determined

Five dishes for your "last meal" menu:

  1. All the pasta dishes that I can eat.
  2. Bibingka from Tacloban
  3. Beef Steak with onions and steaming hot white rice
  4. Fresh seafood from Leyte
  5. Red Velvet Cupcakes from Sprinkles, Tiramisu, any dessert
Five happy food memories:
  1. My aunt had an Indian mango tree and one summer, we were there, we would just climb the tree, pick a few, peel it and eat it. We did that everyday for the whole summer.
  2. Hot chicken barbeque and hot pan de sal after school. We owned a bakery and the barbeque stand was just outside the bakery.
  3. If we felt like eating hot bread at any time of the day, we can just go to our baker and ask him to put a whole tray into the oven for us.
  4. Hot, fresh out of the oven ensaymada (the bread recipe not the brioche) shaped like a pinwheel and we would put cheese unto the gaps. Then return it to the oven for the cheese to melt, Then when it is all melted and bubbling, we sprinkle sugar over it and its so gooey and yummy.
  5. On our way back from the Bay Area, my aunt, uncle and I stopped in San Luis Obispo and had lunch at this little Italian Restaurant where all the food was to die for. Our seafood appetizer, mushroom soup, my pasta main entrée and the best Tiramisu that I have ever tasted in my life. It happened probably 5 years ago and I cannot wait to go back.
I am not tagging anyone in particular but if you think you have something to share along these lines, please do so. (Jan I am curious about your answers)

No comments: