Golden Globe Nominations were announced early this morning and two things got me excited. Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution" was nominated as Best Foreign Language Film and Quentin Tarantino wearing a barong while making the announcements.
At first, I thought my eyes were playing with me, after all it was so early in the morning but what confirmed to me that it was indeed a barong was the very prominent "bib" like embroidery and the buttons are midway. As usual or maybe because it wasn't a formal event, he left the top two buttons undone. That was so cool of him though to wear a barong in such a Hollywood event. I mean, how often do you see a non-Filipino, an award-winning and talented Hollywood writer/director at that wearing the barong to an event like this. Heck, I don't think even Filipinos wear the barong to formal events, preferring to wear a tuxedo or a coat and tie. So, yay for Quentin Tarantino.
I am so glad that "Lust, Caution" was nominated since there were reports a few months back that it didn't qualify as a Foreign Language entry from Taiwan for the Oscars because it didn't have enough Taiwanese in its cast or crew.
Go figure! "Lust, Caution" is one of the compelling films that I have seen of late. It was sensual, thrilling, intelligent, appealing not only to the eyes but also to the mind. I saw this at Arclight with Chrissie since it was only on limited release. It was in Mandarin with English subtitles which was fine with me because I think my eyes are trained now to watch the movie and read subtitles at the same time. Watching tons of Asian series and movies do that to you. This movie was controversial because of the love scenes reported to be graphic hence earning an NC-17 rating in the US that is without cuts. It was graphic alright, very graphic but it was also integral to the story. After some time, one realizes that this movie is much more than those scenes that people have been talking about. It was suspenseful, an unpredictable tale of love, espionage, youth empowerment even rebellion. If given the chance to watch this film, I urge people to watch it.
I haven't watched a lot of movies this year. I haven't had much opportunity so I haven't watched most if not all of the nominated films. But, I really would want to watch "Atonement" and "Juno". I have seen the trailer of "Atonement" and it has caught my interest. It has gotten good reviews as well so I will most definitely check this out once I get the chance. I first got intrigued with "Juno" because not only does it share half the title of a Korean film "Jenny Juno" but it both have parallel plots. In fact, the director of "Juno" was asked if his movie was an adaptation. He said no since other than the title and the similar premise, the similarities end there. Both dealt with teen pregnancies but with different approach and different choices. One tackled keeping the baby and the other dealt with adoption. The actress in "Juno", Ellen Page also earned a Golden Globe nod. I have watched the Korean film, though a bit fluffy, at least it didn't romanticize teenage pregnancy. It actually showed the hardships and challenges. I will watch "Juno" with an open mind though and put "Jenny Juno" at the deepest ends of my brain.
On the tv side, I am glad that Grey's Anatomy was nominated and Sally Fields was nominated too for "Brothers and Sisters". These are just two of the few shows I have been watching this season, which is now no more due to the WGA strike.
I forgot when the ceremony would be. Most likely if not end of January, it will be early February. I will look forward to it. Hopefully, I have watched the two films by then.
At first, I thought my eyes were playing with me, after all it was so early in the morning but what confirmed to me that it was indeed a barong was the very prominent "bib" like embroidery and the buttons are midway. As usual or maybe because it wasn't a formal event, he left the top two buttons undone. That was so cool of him though to wear a barong in such a Hollywood event. I mean, how often do you see a non-Filipino, an award-winning and talented Hollywood writer/director at that wearing the barong to an event like this. Heck, I don't think even Filipinos wear the barong to formal events, preferring to wear a tuxedo or a coat and tie. So, yay for Quentin Tarantino.
I am so glad that "Lust, Caution" was nominated since there were reports a few months back that it didn't qualify as a Foreign Language entry from Taiwan for the Oscars because it didn't have enough Taiwanese in its cast or crew.
Go figure! "Lust, Caution" is one of the compelling films that I have seen of late. It was sensual, thrilling, intelligent, appealing not only to the eyes but also to the mind. I saw this at Arclight with Chrissie since it was only on limited release. It was in Mandarin with English subtitles which was fine with me because I think my eyes are trained now to watch the movie and read subtitles at the same time. Watching tons of Asian series and movies do that to you. This movie was controversial because of the love scenes reported to be graphic hence earning an NC-17 rating in the US that is without cuts. It was graphic alright, very graphic but it was also integral to the story. After some time, one realizes that this movie is much more than those scenes that people have been talking about. It was suspenseful, an unpredictable tale of love, espionage, youth empowerment even rebellion. If given the chance to watch this film, I urge people to watch it.I haven't watched a lot of movies this year. I haven't had much opportunity so I haven't watched most if not all of the nominated films. But, I really would want to watch "Atonement" and "Juno". I have seen the trailer of "Atonement" and it has caught my interest. It has gotten good reviews as well so I will most definitely check this out once I get the chance. I first got intrigued with "Juno" because not only does it share half the title of a Korean film "Jenny Juno" but it both have parallel plots. In fact, the director of "Juno" was asked if his movie was an adaptation. He said no since other than the title and the similar premise, the similarities end there. Both dealt with teen pregnancies but with different approach and different choices. One tackled keeping the baby and the other dealt with adoption. The actress in "Juno", Ellen Page also earned a Golden Globe nod. I have watched the Korean film, though a bit fluffy, at least it didn't romanticize teenage pregnancy. It actually showed the hardships and challenges. I will watch "Juno" with an open mind though and put "Jenny Juno" at the deepest ends of my brain.
On the tv side, I am glad that Grey's Anatomy was nominated and Sally Fields was nominated too for "Brothers and Sisters". These are just two of the few shows I have been watching this season, which is now no more due to the WGA strike.
I forgot when the ceremony would be. Most likely if not end of January, it will be early February. I will look forward to it. Hopefully, I have watched the two films by then.


1 comment:
The novel sartorial appearance generated equivocal comments. The LA crowd, seeing the "Barong" for the first time, thought the director looked too casual in his "tie-less" get-up. While Pinoys world-wide applauded Quentin for giving their native dress international exposure.
According to www.tesoros.ph Quentin was gifted with a 'TESORO'S" barong by the National Commission of Culture and the Arts Executive Director Cecilia Guidote-Alvarez and by the Film Development Council of the Philippines vice-Chair Christine Dayrit. The Director was presented the 24 hour executed, custom-made barong for his courtesy call to the Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
The Barong Tagalog is the recommended attire when visiting the Philippine head of state. Most delegates are automatically gifted by their Filipino hosts with one. And their store of choice is Tesoro's which carries the widest assortment of barongs, with a price to suit every budget and a style to suit every taste.
Tesoro's must have done such a good job as Quentin saw it fit to wear the barong again and in front of an international media event at that.
Quentin's patronage of the barong will endear him in the hearts of the movie going Pinoy (Filipino) public for many years to come.
Post a Comment